Baby Russian temp

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ahhh right , he does seem happy under it , and sits here for hours ?

That is not good. Indoor bulbs emit a very high level of IR-A. This is very desiccating to their carapace and dries them tremendously which is a big contributor to pyramiding and growth anomalies. They need an area to bask and warm up, but they should not be hanging out directly under the bulb for hours. When this happens it is an indicator that the basking temp and the overall ambient temperature in the whole enclosure is too low.

You need more heat. A 150 watt CHE over the middle of your enclosure and controlled by a thermostat would probably solve your problem, but it will also contribute to more desiccation. You'll need to soak and spray frequently and you'll need to make sure your substrate stays damp and the humid hide stays nice and humid.

An even better alternative would be to use a closed chamber. Called a "vivarium" over in the UK. These hold in the heat and humidity so they require you to burn less electricity while still offering your tortoise better living and growing conditions.

al123

That is not good. Indoor bulbs emit a very high level of IR-A. This is very desiccating to their carapace and dries them tremendously which is a big contributor to pyramiding and growth anomalies. They need an area to bask and warm up, but they should not be hanging out directly under the bulb for hours. When this happens it is an indicator that the basking temp and the overall ambient temperature in the whole enclosure is too low.

You need more heat. A 150 watt CHE over the middle of your enclosure and controlled by a thermostat would probably solve your problem, but it will also contribute to more desiccation. You'll need to soak and spray frequently and you'll need to make sure your substrate stays damp and the humid hide stays nice and humid.

An even better alternative would be to use a closed chamber. Called a "vivarium" over in the UK. These hold in the heat and humidity so they require you to burn less electricity while still offering your tortoise better living and growing conditions.
He only stays there for about an hour at a time then has a walk around and then drinks his water, I'm not happy about using a Vivarium as I know they're not meant for tortoises as I've heard many bad stories, my temperate is correct and I'm happy, I was just enquiring if it needed to be cooler or warmer that's all

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
He only stays there for about an hour at a time then has a walk around and then drinks his water, I'm not happy about using a Vivarium as I know they're not meant for tortoises as I've heard many bad stories, my temperate is correct and I'm happy, I was just enquiring if it needed to be cooler or warmer that's all

The "stories" are flat out plain wrong. Wrong with a capital W. Closed chambers (Vivariums) are good for all the reasons "they" try to tell you they are bad. The people who use them all say the same things and report the same positive results. Just before clicking on this thread I answered a PM from a friend here in the states who is having unprecedented success with pancake tortoises, another species that is usually kept too dry, because she is using large closed chambers that offer her tortoises ideal conditions.

The air inside our heated and air condition homes is not the right level of humidity or temperature for our tortoises. We use heat lamps and employ other artificial means to attempt to compensate for these deficiencies. When the top of the enclosure is open and the sides are low, it lets all the "good" air that we are trying to create out, and all the "bad" room air in. Containing a relatively small bit of air inside your chamber allows you to control the conditions inside and offer the conditions that work best.

Your temperature is not correct and neither is your humidity. In the next few months and years your tortoises carapace is going to tell you the same thing I am telling you. You will not be able to undo the damage and you won't be able to ignore it. You will see it every time you look at him and wish you had listened to that guy on the internet that was trying to warn you. I know, such doom and gloom... Seriously though. How do you think I know what I am telling you? Its because I have done what you are doing and I know what the results will be. I've also done it the way I'm telling you to do it, and I know what results will be produced by those methods too.

The choice is yours my friend. You have the info now. You will not be able to claim ignorance down the road, as I did so many ears ago. I wish you good luck whatever you choose.

al123

I don't appreciate people getting offensive, I have spoken to my vet and who has given me great advice and told not to use a Vivarium! I have new bulbs on the way and my tortoise is healthy