Baby Redfooted Tortoise Healing Story (detailed)

shinesun

Hello I am a fairly new member of this forum.

This is the story of the healing of a baby redfoot tortoise I thought I'd share.

When I say baby I mean smaller than the palm of my hand, my hand being a bit below average size.

Yet, she managed to recover from what I believe was pneumonia( or a cold). My secret is that I pleaded with God to help me and show me how to take care of a baby redfoot because I am an unexperienced"jabuti" owner, the ones I knew were not mine but were from relatives and all were adults, I never knew how to care for A BABY ONE. By the way "jabuti" is how redfoot/yellowfooted/cherryhead tortoise are called here. So, I figured out, since God created all creatures He knows how they need to be taken care of, right? He heed my pleads before too late.

It is my belief my baby redfoot tortoise's friend immunity was decreased due to stress ,maybe because I had to bring her home by bus, but mainly because of the weather It was sunny day until later on that same day, when it became rainy and cold. The weather is like this here ,pretty random(even in winter a sunny day can become a cold rainy one and vice versa) .Anyways, after a few hours home she wouldn't eat, and would remain sleeping or very lethargic when she was pretty active at first.Later I found out she was propably trying to hibernate plus presenting symptoms pneumonia. Then she got only worse and worse, until barely moving and sleeping all day remaining inside her shell to a point I'd be scared of waking her up only to find out she was gone. So I prayed God would show me how to take care of her, because eventhough searching and searching , absorbing information pertinent to her species I just couldn't let her hibernate. It is funny because at times she would be like"let me sleeeep e.e" whenever I would check on her.After praying , thanks to The Creator I was able to fix it all in the wisest way I could.

Here were the main issues:

¤ she was showing difficulty to breath-because eventhough winter here is not TOO cold , the air still gets dry, making it difficult for a tortoise to breath

¤she was showing difficulty to eat or move at all-actually trying to spend as little energy as possible she would barely nibble food

¤How to fix the issues

•the respiratory problem :

The respiratory problem is fixed by boiling water and pouring it in a recipient, preferably something long like a bottle,then placing that very recipient near the tortoise's hiding place or outside her habitat, near the tortoise providing both warmth and humidity from the steam that would come up, solving more then one issue at once

•To the food issue

The heat from the boiled water also solved the food problem as the heat would warm her up allowing her to feed a little bit more properly. Eventhough I learned when tortoises hibernate instead of overeating they eat less or even fast . However I was too uneasy and I thought I'd loose her if I didn't get her to eat something. So what I did at first is:

¤ give her a room temperature water soak or even warm the water a little ,then let her soak just until she did her necessities and take her out. Then I'd process her food(leafy plants like cale, coriander and rocket , and a teaspoon of tuna) she likes in the liquifier then pour boiling water on it and let it became lukewarm, so that the food will provide some heat. Then put the tortoise near the food and the tortoise should eat it , also the tortoise will want to enter in the food bowl to soak in the food and absorb it from skin I think, then it will go back to nearby the heat source.

Then as the tortoise heals you won't have to liquify the food anymore but just chop the food, the fruit and leafy plants they like and it will be easier , because the tortoise will be trying to save body energy as much as possible.

What went wrong:

• it's been a few days since I brought her and it is WINTER here

•I let her soak in room tempeture water ,by her second day here, only to later finding out we are not supposed to do it unless in warm weather

•Keeping her in an habitat that was not tall enough

•Not providing adequate substrate which now is organic soil (without fertilizers or chemicals, the one soil for plants)

•The habbit of letting the fan turned on in the same room the tortoise is . By the first few days when I turned it off it had already affected her negatively

Thank God she is alright now I hope she remains healthy.

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi :) please read caresheets pinned on top of this section. In my opinion you are keeping him too cold and that is why his not active and gets better after providing him/her heat. Post pics of your enclosure and tell us bit more about temperatures that you provide for him. Extra information will allow forum members to give you directions for setting him in a correct manner. Good luck.

shinesun

Hi :) please read caresheets pinned on top of this section. In my opinion you are keeping him too cold and that is why his not active and gets better after providing him/her heat. Post pics of your enclosure and tell us bit more about temperatures that you provide for him. Extra information will allow forum members to give you directions for setting him in a correct manner. Good luck.

I'll read it. Mostly I've been having to improvise everything based on my researches.

●the temperature:

You see, where I live the petshops do not provide air thermometers. It's rare to find products for reptiles around where I live so I have to improvise but thankfuly this is the native country to the redfoot species.Based on local weather forecasts the temperature is oscilating a lot in between 15°C&31°C(59°F&87°C) which it really is.

●The humidity

Is about 89% , also based on local weather forecast.In addition the soil is kinda soaked.Whenever I feel it's "too cold" I place a glass or plastic bottle of boiled water inside the terrarium near her den , without the cap on so the steam can provide even more humidity. I use the bottle because at night and when it's raining I keep the vivarium inside my bedroom. Whenever she can she tries to stay near it.

•Soaking

I haven't been soaking her lately not even to stimulate bladder or to make her drink water, because the soil is kinda soaked a bit.I will try to leave a dry portion and a little soaked portion to see what she prefers.

I hope this helps

When the Sun finally comes out or I know it will come out, from7 or 9 in the morning to 5pm I put her outside to catch more humidity and heat from the rays, in a tray with the walls high enough so that it is safe for her or inside the terrarium. It seems though she prefers to go hide back in her den instead of basking under the Sun, whenever I gently take her out of her improvised burrow and put her where the Sun ray is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I think the mistake you're making is not providing artificial heat ALL THE TIME for the tortoise. It really doesn't matter what the weather is where you live. If the weather isn't what the tortoise needs, then you have to provide it. Most of us use lights and ceramic heat emitters:

Any light that provides heat is fine -
0ee58967-2289-4ed9-bfe9-d961d5e6bcd7_1000.jpg

Then at night when you want the light turned off, you can use a Ceramic Heat Emitter:

41LALgEAwlL.jpg

Your baby tortoise needs to be kept at 80F degrees or better all the time. It's great that you pray for the baby's health, but God helps those who help themselves. And the way for you to help yourself is to provide this baby with what it needs to thrive - heat, humidity, an enclosure that mimics the wild area where he lives naturally, the correct/healthy diet and exercise.

Good luck with your baby. Please read the care sheets and give this baby the environment he needs to thrive.

shinesun

Hello, thanks for replying. I've read caresheets, not all of 'em. About the light, I do install her terrarium outside for natural sunlight and inside at night , and am also beginning to let her stay out in a small area of the garden ,(from morning to 6pm)for this and other purposes. However she seemingly hides from the sun rays even in the morning. When it's raining I would place the terrarium inside,installing a lamp with normal light and she only enjoyed it once or twice then went to sleep again. It doesn't provide much heat. Most times she tries to hide from light sources, or turning her back to it inside her hide or burrow. Yep the light is not left turned on at night because it might mess up her natural instincts and sleep cycles, her biological clock.I think she is really trying to avoid light. On the UVB lamp:it will be bought as soon as I can afford it, I already know where it is sold(it does not say it's proper for reptiles though, it only says it's the UVB type on the box, I wonder if it will be fine), they sell it on stores for construction products. Hm about the ceramic heater the first time I heard about it's existence was in a tortoise site. But I'll improvise till I can find it and adquire it.
ur baby tortoise needs to be kept at 80F degrees or better all the time. It's great that you pray for the baby's health, but God helps those who help themselves. And the way for you to help yourself is to provide this baby with what it needs to thrive - heat, humidity, an enclosure that mimics the wild area where he lives naturally, the correct/healthy diet and exercise.

Good luck with your baby. Please read the care sheets and give this baby the environment he needs to thrive.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with your baby. Please read the care sheets and give this baby the environment he needs to thrive.[/QUOTE]

QUOTE="Yvonne G, post: 1477928, member: 398"]Hi and welcome!

I think the mistake you're making is not providing artificial heat ALL THE TIME for the tortoise. It really doesn't matter what the weather is where you live. If the weather isn't what the tortoise needs, then you have to provide it. Most of us use lights and ceramic heat emitters:

Any light that provides heat is fine -

Then at night when you want the light turned off, you can use a Ceramic Heat Emitter:

Your baby tortoise needs to be kept at 80F degrees or better all the time. It's great that you pray for the baby's health, but God helps those who help themselves. And the way for you to help yourself is to provide this baby with what it needs to thrive - heat, humidity, an enclosure that mimics the wild area where he lives naturally, the correct/healthy diet and exercise.

Hello thanks for replying.I read the carecheats, not all of 'em. I've been providing natural sunlight as much as I can leaving her outside, but she is really hiding from both sunlight and artificial light. I am afraid placing the lamp, which doesn't provide much heat on her terrarium might blind her so I only turn on the ceiling light?I tried it before though.She only basked under it once or twice. Both the UVB light and ceramic heater will be provided as soon as affordable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
shinesun.
If you are placing your tortoise outside while still inside of the glass terrarium, know that sunlight can do strange things. Like reflect and concentrate heat and make the inside extremely hot.
If you place your tortoise, please do two things: Place him in a non reflective enclose. Maybe a tall plastic pan? also make sure that there is shade provided in case the area is too hot or too bright.
Redfoot get uncomfortable if it gets very warm or very bright.
They don't need high heat. Just the uvb.