Baby Red foot daily sun with no UVB bulb. Ok?

TrennC

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, GA, USA
Hi All,
I am planning to get a red foot tort at the end of June. While researching lighting for its indoor enclosure, I was wondering if it would be okay to forgo the UVB bulb and just take it out for 30 minutes of sun each day. Obviously, I would still have a basking bulb (or CHE) in addition to a non-heat light source for the day/night cycle. Does that sound doable?
Also, I wanted to mention that I fully intend to get the tort outdoors once it's large enough. I am only keeping him in the terrarium while he/she is small.

Thanks for the knowledge!
TrennC

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi All,
I am planning to get a red foot tort at the end of June. While researching lighting for its indoor enclosure, I was wondering if it would be okay to forgo the UVB bulb and just take it out for 30 minutes of sun each day. Obviously, I would still have a basking bulb (or CHE) in addition to a non-heat light source for the day/night cycle. Does that sound doable?
Also, I wanted to mention that I fully intend to get the tort outdoors once it's large enough. I am only keeping him in the terrarium while he/she is small.

Thanks for the knowledge!
TrennC
30 min a day of unfiltered sunlight is plenty of UVB exposure. Also redfoots get some of their vitamin D from diet if fed a proper diet. So you are fine without a UVB light. Even if you missed a week or so here and there.

However, a good day/night light cycle which would include at least UVA would be advised in an indoor enclosure. I would use a fluorescent tube for lighting that is designed for growing plants. Get one that does emit UVA. Since some plants in the enclosure would be a great addition, and that will help the plant grow too, it would be my choice. A small incandescent basking light, and a CHE on thermostat for maintaining a minimum of 80° and you're set!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
What do you plan to do for your torts UVB needs for when it's too cold?

Also if it's really small 30 can cause it to over heat and start foaming at the mouth.

Yes it can be done without it but You're far better off spend $25 and getting a good uvb bulb

TrennC

Atlanta, GA, USA
Thanks
30 min a day of unfiltered sunlight is plenty of UVB exposure. Also redfoots get some of their vitamin D from diet if fed a proper diet. So you are fine without a UVB light. Even if you missed a week or so here and there.

However, a good day/night light cycle which would include at least UVA would be advised in an indoor enclosure. I would use a fluorescent tube for lighting that is designed for growing plants. Get one that does emit UVA. Since some plants in the enclosure would be a great addition, and that will help the plant grow too, it would be my choice. A small incandescent basking light, and a CHE on thermostat for maintaining a minimum of 80° and you're set!

Sounds like a good plan to me! I've got a spare full spectrum plant tube light on hand (unused), and I have a few succulents and sphagnum moss for the enclosure. I'll pick up the CHE the next time I go to the pet store. Thanks for the advice!

TrennC

Atlanta, GA, USA
What do you plan to do for your torts UVB needs for when it's too cold?

Also if it's really small 30 can cause it to over heat and start foaming at the mouth.

Yes it can be done without it but You're far better off spend $25 and getting a good uvb bulb

I live in Georgia (just north of Atlanta). It is a rarity that we have a day where there isn't a half-hour warm enough. Every once in a while we get a cold snap, but it normally doesn't linger more than a few days.

I plan to be outside with the Tort, so I'll be sure to not leave him out to long. Maybe start him at 15 minutes?

I think I'll try it out sans UVB, and if it doesn't seem to work or the weather turns weird I will buy a bulb.