Baby Cherryhead health

emilyk

Hello! I have a baby Cherryhead whom is roughly 5-6 months old. He is very active, his eyes are bright, he drinks and has bowel movements regularly, etc. However, my partner and I just noticed these spots on the underside of his shell. Is this shell rot? I'm extremely worried that it is, because I read that shell rot is very bad to have on a baby (meaning even more so than an adult). I'm looking for any and all advice; I want my little guy to be as healthy as possible. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hello! I have a baby Cherryhead whom is roughly 5-6 months old. He is very active, his eyes are bright, he drinks and has bowel movements regularly, etc. However, my partner and I just noticed these spots on the underside of his shell. Is this shell rot? I'm extremely worried that it is, because I read that shell rot is very bad to have on a baby (meaning even more so than an adult). I'm looking for any and all advice; I want my little guy to be as healthy as possible. Thank you!

Yes, that appears to be a fungus/bacteria establishing itself....what is the substrate you are using in the indoor enclosure? does the tortoise has access to completely dry substrate in the enclosure ? Although this is a species that does enjoy a bit higher humidity than some other species, it does require the ability to completely allow its shell and entire self to dry out in order to maintain a healthy shell and overall health.....how are you keeping the enclosure?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree.
Can you post photos of the enclosure? We could give you advice on what needs to be changed.
In the meantime, apply some "athletes foot" cream to the affected area.
There is no need to spend a lot of money. I buy and use athletes foot cream I purchase at the "dollar" store. It has the same active in ingredient.
It's handy to have around and it quickly stops this from growing worse.

emilyk

Yes, that appears to be a fungus/bacteria establishing itself....what is the substrate you are using in the indoor enclosure? does the tortoise has access to completely dry substrate in the enclosure ? Although this is a species that does enjoy a bit higher humidity than some other species, it does require the ability to completely allow its shell and entire self to dry out in order to maintain a healthy shell and overall health.....how are you keeping the enclosure?
We were keeping it quite damp and letting him burrow in orchard moss whenever he wanted because his species does enjoy humidity. Aside from the moss he has reptibark substrate. I see now that we should maintain a specific dry area. What would you recommend for treatment?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use orchid bark covered by potting soil.
I pour water into the corners. The orchid bark absorbs the water and keeps the humidity high, leaving the soil layer rather dry.
You want humid, but not constantly wet.
My adults go crazy running around outside in a thunderstorm. But retreat to their dry boxes at night.
Just like I imagine they would do in the wild.
They also spend part of the day floating around in one of their water pools.
They love the wet.
Shell fungus sometimes shows up. But with athletes foot cream, it quickly goes away.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
We were keeping it quite damp and letting him burrow in orchard moss whenever he wanted because his species does enjoy humidity. Aside from the moss he has reptibark substrate. I see now that we should maintain a specific dry area. What would you recommend for treatment?

If it were me, I would let the enclosure substrate dry up a bit....I would be sure to add some dry substrate and allow the tort the ability to dry out some when and if they choose to....I would gently brush the affected area a few times a day with a soft bristle tooth brush with warm clean water...I would then dry the area....then apply a high quality foot fungus medication....I would then be sure to remove the soaking water dish to assure that the tortoise does not soak its treated shell in the same water that they can then drink....then when you are set to do the next brushing and medicating I would brush off any prior med and then allow the tort to soak a bit for drinking then I would proceed with treatment....I would do this for a couple of weeks....and perhaps more based on how the areas are responding to your treatment...

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Lots of babies get rot, it should be fine. I'd debride the rot with something "scrapey" (soft bristled toothbrush, something with a dull edge like a ruler or bookmark) to get some of the fungus off and then apply the foot cream.

Keep the top layer of substrate dry. If you're keeping it wet because you're struggling with humidity, cover the top of the enclosure.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Adorable baby by the way. My little Cherryhead got shell rot not long after I got him/her. The athlete's foot cream treatment did wonders.