Attitude

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
For those who follow my posts, pics, replies to current topics, they will no longer continue. I have been banned from the site due to my poor attitude. The Zen Master who runs the TFO sees no value in my opinions regarding outdated information on the site and recommendations to improve advice based on the location of the poster. That being said, if you need to ask a question that I may or may not be able to answer, send it in the form of a P.M.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You are a valuable member here, and I'm very sorry you are allowing another to dictate whether or not you post. You were able to start this thread, that tells me the ban was a temporary one, sort of a go sit in the corner until you can shape up type thing. Whether you deserved it or not, and we don't need to know the particulars, don't stop posting. We really need you as a resource here, and it has been a pleasure for me to get to know you.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
You have provided me with invaluable feedback concerning the care of my radiated tortoises. I hope that you will continue to maintain a presence here, given that despite my experience with tortoises, I am just a brand new papa when it comes to this species. It is because of your good grace that I had an in with Chris in the big H. Regardless of what some may think, know that you have my respect and gratitude.

T.G.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is ridiculous. Don't know what happened, but you need to stay. You and I batted heads once for a second some time ago. Maybe even a year or two ago now. You stated your opinion, I gave you mine. Done and over. I didn't feel you were rude and have not seen any post I felt was rude. To the point maybe, just the way I think it should be. None of this kiss up stuff, specially when you see bad things or have a heart felt opinion.
You have more members here that want you to stay then those that can't handle a little sternness and too the point. Don't let them win.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't know what happened, and I don't need to know, but I have found your suggestions to be helpful. I hope you can stay.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here's a taste of your own medicine Doc:

Stop whining because someone didn't like what you said in a post. Put your big boy pants back on and continue with the important task of educating those more ignorant than you (Like me) about the medical aspects of tortoise care. Your words are helping thousands of people all over the world, and if you were to stop posting, the tortoise world would suffer for it. Your help, experience and expertise is needed here. If we all left every time someone thought we were a jerk, there would be hardly any members here, and the whole forum wouldn't be very useful. Believe me, I've been called all sorts of names and given all sorts of labels. Some labels were accurate and some weren't, but soldier on man. Soldier on. So what if the occasional hard-headed moron argues with you and doesn't appreciate what you have to say. There are literally hundreds or thousands of readers, even on those threads, who DO appreciate what you have to say, and learn from it. Some of the best threads on this forum happened because some malcontent was arguing or complaining about something. Those are the threads that are the most interesting and where the most info is shared and absorbed by readers all over the world. Its boring when Me, MarkW and Will, all get on a thread and say the same thing. "Yep. Baby tropical tortoises do well in a humid chamber…" Its fun when Andy Highfield comes here and calls my well proven assertions "red herrings" and compares me to people who believe in aliens and UFOs because of what I've seen and done hundreds of times. We had 18 pages of info sharing before he finally admitted he'd raised ONE SA leopard with a smooth shell in what he called "dry" conditions, and when he finally showed us how he did it, it was a large outdoor closed chamber giant plastic bubble thing.

Also: We can all see that you've got a large bee in your bonnet about this location thing. We all get it and I think most of us agree with you, but c'mon man… You can't make everyone do things your way all the time. I've got no problem with you telling people you won't want to help them until their location is in their profile, but outside of that, just skip to the next post from Bill Z, cdmay, Will, or Markw and enjoy. Take your bonnet off and let the bee out.

As every poster above me has stated, I also appreciate the time and effort you put in here to help us all learn. Please don't stop posting. In fact, please post more.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Is there a link to this convo with Highfield? Because that's great. Sounds like the moment when Dorothy and the gang got to pull back the curtain to see the real Oz. Also, if raising babies under humid conditions resulting in smooth growth is a red herring, I suppose the lot of us is in the business of farm raising red herrings. Regardless, that moment alone should be reason enough to stick around.

T.G.

Last edited:

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
I decided to join this forum because I want to learn from all people that are invested and passionate about the health of chelonians. I have two box turtles but I enjoy reading about all the different species. I believe exploring ideas and opinions makes for a richer learning environment. I have not known of this site for very long. But I know I will miss your voice if you choose to remove yourself from the conversation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there a link to this convo with Highfield? Because that's great. Sounds like the moment when Dorothy and the gang got to pull back the curtain to see the real Oz. Also, if raising babies under humid conditions resulting in smooth growth is a red herring, I suppose the lot of us is in the business of farm raising red herrings. Regardless, that moment alone should be reason enough to stick around.

T.G.

Took me over an hour, but I found it! Due to the contentious nature of the thread and arguing, many posts were edited out and it doesn't read as it did when it was happening.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/what-is-the-physiology-behind-pyramiding.83263/

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It'd be pretty sad if no one had the passion to even care about helping others.
Even the threads that develop into arguments have things that are helpful in them. And frankly, they make the day more interesting.
I will not ask for @deadheadvet on posts that do not have a clear location for the poster. That is very easily done and not unreasonable.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
I don't have access to a tortoise vet here... I know people who knows a lot, but are not vets, but who can help maybe in case something happened. I also know that looking around and searching for a vet with tortoise experiance isn't something you do when things go sideways... you panic first and comes here.

As for location... I read in a thread here that those using the app can't enter location info... and entering location isn't always something you think about when posting. I know it's recommended when you sign up, but then you get sidetracked and forget and can't find the place and feel stupid about asking.

That aside, please stay!

Alaskamike

South Florida
We all have experienced - especially in writing , folks getting " their knickers in a wad "

For me this is especially true when I take time & effort to explain somthing I have invested untold time, effort , & money to learn. Offense is easily felt when interpreting words on paper ( or screen).

I was chided , then finally invited to leave a political forum over a discussion on 2nd Amendment rights. So I understand.

My nature is to enjoy a good debate - and challenges to my ideas. But certainly many are thin skinned & so easily offended by blunt talk.

If I tell someone " you're wrong " & go on to explain why - they may hear in their head somthing I really didn't say ( stupid, ignorant , stubborn, clueless , etc). Curt , as you say & to the point is rude to others. I really don't worry much about thin skinned people.

That said, I do need to remind myself to not be one with my Carharts in a wad - either.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Evan

You have a perspective, base of experiences, formal education, that no other regular contributor here on the forum has. You know I have called on you several times when I knew your expertise and perspective was needed. You have always been there and available even by PM and email when I needed. We will be much the poorer if you choose to stop contributing for the thousands who benefit from your input, because of discord with just one or two!

I have had 4 or 5 instances just this past week when I thought of seeking your input, but tend to save that and not overuse you. I realize that unlike the rest of us, your business is that of giving exactly this type of advice daily, so I do not take the fact lightly, that you volunteer your time and information so graciously here.

With that background and your kinship with us all as a chelonian keeper yourself, you fill a unique and valuable niche. I love and look forward to your updates and input on your groups of radiata, platynota, and galbinifrons bourreti

Please do not take that away!

Respectfully,

Mark

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Guys, the original post by deadheadvet says "I have been banned" and refers to "the Zen master who runs this forum."
This may mean that it is NOT HIM withdrawing, but someone else banning him?
Maybe our Moderators can get more info?
@Yvonne G

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Guys, the original post by deadheadvet says "I have been banned" and refers to "the Zen master who runs this forum."
@Yvonne G
I took that to mean Josh.
I also guessed that there must have been some heated argument other than the mild one in the thread.
It's pretty unusual for anyone to get banned. Isn't it?
Especially anyone as potentially helpful as Deadhead.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Yvonne G

It's not my story to tell, but since he spent some time with a line drawn through his name that anyone could have noticed, and now his name is showing up, and he's able to post, that means he WAS temporarily banned, but is not banned now. I understand how Evan feels, even though I don't agree with his thought on the original post in this thread. I would never let someone else chase me away from something I enjoyed doing, if it were possible to stay. So, yes, Bea, Evan is CHOOSING to withdraw, but hopefully when he reads all the favorable posts here he'll change his mind.