At what temperature should I start bringing my russian tortoise indoors?

Dani8

Summer is winding down and it's starting to get chilly again at night. During the day it's been around 75F (24C) and during the night time it's been dropping to temps of 50F (10C). I am from the Boston area and wanted to know if anyone could give me some pointers or tell me what they do. The humidity has been around 45-50% in my area and during the heat of the day I always make sure to spray down the substrate to make sure to keep the humidity up. Would you recomend leaving a heat lamp on for just in case he gets cold at night or a heat pad?

Thanks,

Dani

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Summer is winding down and it's starting to get chilly again at night. During the day it's been around 75F (24C) and during the night time it's been dropping to temps of 50F (10C). I am from the Boston area and wanted to know if anyone could give me some pointers or tell me what they do. The humidity has been around 45-50% in my area and during the heat of the day I always make sure to spray down the substrate to make sure to keep the humidity up. Would you recomend leaving a heat lamp on for just in case he gets cold at night or a heat pad?

Thanks,

Dani
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.:D

What species is your tort? Any pics of him/her, and his/her enclosure?;)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and give your tort daily soaks in warm water. This will avoid dehydration as well as pyramiding.:tort:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Thanks,

Dani
Your tort won't want to hibernate until temperatures are consistently below 10C.

However the night temperatures are dropping to levels where getting your tort active by day will be a struggle. You should bring him in at nights now. He may also need a kick start from a basking lamp before going outside by day too.

This might be helpful - Outdoor Accommodation in a Colder Climate
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Russians are pretty cold tolerant. Of the days are still getting to the 70s and it's sunny where they can bask I wouldn't worry. When it starts to stay cool in the days and drop lower at night. And it's wet. Night wanna think about hibernation or bringing them inside

Kylen

Dani8

Hey guys,

So this is the habitat I've created for Leo my Russian tortoise. He has a cool hide away, a place to bask, and a little pool to hydrate. I've put in two small potted plants: a rosemary and a lavender. Russians are considered to be Mediterranean tortoises and they frecuently
encounter these plants in the wild so I thought it would be a nice detail to add to his home.

Currently, the habitat is outside on a sun porch. He gets lots of natural light... For most of the summer o didn't have to put his light on, but now with the colder weather I've started to put the basking light on in the morning and late afternoon. I have a heater pad that I used to attach to his tank (before I learned tortoises don't like enclosures that they can see out from). Would you recommend putting the heater on at night? I will bring him indoors for sure once it starts to get colder.

I was also considering getting Leo a mate or a friend anyone have any input on that?

Thanks,

Dani

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hello. Welcome to the forum. Do not get your tortoise a friend. Tortoises are solitary, especially Russians. And a pair is just asking for trouble, and eventually one will die. Your tortoise will be just fine living alone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Dani. Welcome to the forum.

I like to put my russians outside during fair weather, and bring them in at night when fall temps start dropping below 60ish over night.

The glass tanks thing is a myth. They are fine in glass and I've been raising 100's of them that way for decades with no problems.

I would not use any sort of under tank or belly heat on a small tortoise. Their heat should come from overhead.

leigti is right. Tortoises are happiest as the sole king or queen of their castle. They don't see other tortoises as "friends" or companions. They see other tortoises as intruders in their territory, combatants and competition for their resources. They do best all alone. Groups can sometimes work, but pairs almost never work.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/