at what size/age can they live together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I have a juvenile box turtle that is 3.25 inches SCL. I also have a 7-8 month old hatchling that is a hair under 2 inches SCL. I'm in no hurry for them to live together, but I was just wondering at what age and size it would be safe to put them together? Any opinions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would try putting them together now. Just keep in mind it may not work out. Keep a close eye on them for bullying and/or one hogging all the food. Good luck, hope it works out okay

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I never put hatchlings with bigger turtles because the bigger turtles try to eat the hatchlings. You may end up with only tails missing, or toes, but you may end up with dead hatchlings. So until the hatchlings are about a year old, I wouldn't put them with bigger turtles.

WallieTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, NY
emysemys said:
I never put hatchlings with bigger turtles because the bigger turtles try to eat the hatchlings. You may end up with only tails missing, or toes, but you may end up with dead hatchlings. So until the hatchlings are about a year old, I wouldn't put them with bigger turtles.

That's true, I put Pepper and my new boxie in plastic tub outside of Pepper's home just to see how they interact with each other. Pepper tried to take so many bites out of the new one!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks. As I said, I'm in no hurry. But with there being a size discrepency I was wondering when it would be safe. The hatchling was born last August, so is turning 8 months old this month. So would it be safe to put them together in the fall, even being different sizes?

I'm thinking maybe next spring/summer actually. I say this because in February is when I noticed my juveniles hinge showing development. Once that happened, he became much more bold. Out more, running to food dish immediately, etc. I'm thinking once the hatchling has hinge development and becomes more "assertive" might be a good time to try housing them together.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have no recent ones of Chomper, this one is a couple of months old and he has grown about 1/4 inch since this one.
0117121401a.jpg

and here is one of Peanut from last night.
peanutmarch31pic2.jpg

It's difficult to tell size difference with separate pics, but Chomper is much bigger than Peanut.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They'll never be the same size. One is a Gulf Coast box turtle and one is a three toed box turtle.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
true story gulfies get HUGE like twice the size of the others!, but perhaps when young and of similer sizing they could go together OR if they get along no need to seperate once he becomes a giatn :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
turtlemann2 said:
true story gulfies get HUGE like twice the size of the others!, but perhaps when young and of similer sizing they could go together OR if they get along no need to seperate once he becomes a giatn :)

I know, that's why I said they won't be the same size. I had two box turtles about 20 years ago. Same thing, one gulf coast and one three toed. They were adults and yes, he was huge compared to her. They did live together though. They got along fine. And yes, Chomper is going to be large. He was much bigger at 8 months old than my three toed is. He grows like a weed and eats like crazy. He is probably somewhere between 15 to 18 months old and is a good 3.25 inches in SCL. About 100 grams, but that is on a crappy dial type scale so who knows for sure about weight. Quite large for so young, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.