asking about RNS..

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
hello all, I want to ask something, just now, I'm googling and find lots ppl said that tort who already get RNS, can not be totally cure..

is it true?

just curious, cause google can not give me the best answer for that..:)

don't know where to post on someone else's thread, so I start a new one..:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Devin:

It depends upon what kind of respiratory infection you're talking about. If your tortoise gets a plain old respiratory infection, yes, it most certainly can be cured.

If he gets URDS, the disease caused by the mycoplasma, then no, he will never be cured of the disease. The symptoms will go away, but the mycoplasma will always remain in his system and the symptoms can come back at any time.

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
emysemys said:
Hi Devin:

It depends upon what kind of respiratory infection you're talking about. If your tortoise gets a plain old respiratory infection, yes, it most certainly can be cured.

If he gets URDS, the disease caused by the mycoplasma, then no, he will never be cured of the disease. The symptoms will go away, but the mycoplasma will always remain in his system and the symptoms can come back at any time.

how do I tell the differences?

I really really wanna make sure,.:)

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
GBtortoises said:
Here is a good link explaining RNS and some solutions:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rednine/RNS.html

thank u so much..:)

read it now..:)

so, after I read it, there is still something I wanna ask..

here's a quote I take from the earthlink..

"Then a syringe with a short rigid tube is used to instill one drop of antibiotic into each nostril once daily whilst holding the animal in an upright position (to ensure the drug goes well into the nasal cavity). This is best done toward late afternoon before the animal beds down for the night. If the weather is damp or cold it is preferable to place the tortoise in a box indoors at night in a warm area. Beware of using clip-on lamps as these can be dislodged, causing a fire hazard. Severe cases will need to be kept under heat for the duration of treatment. This simple treatment is continued for a week or two after symptoms have disappeared to prevent relapse."

what I want to ask is, when he said to continued this treatment for a week or two after symptoms have disappeared, what should be continued? the medicine or giving a warm place??

Status
Not open for further replies.