Article 10 - What to do with it

LFC383

Hello all,

We purchased a Hermann Tortoise back in November and the seller provided us with the Article 10 explaining how it was linked to the microchip implant in the tortoise, and scanned the tortoise showing us that the number on the microcrip agreed to the paperwork.

My question is what do we do with the Article 10 paperwork no?, as we thought the seller said that you can get the tortoise registered against your name however we were taking in so much information then we could have been mistaken.

The DEFRA website doesn't mention anything about registering a tortoise with an owner.

Can someone please let me know if we have just dreamt this up.

Many thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not in the UK, so I don't fully understand all your rules and regulations, but I think they meant you have to transfer ownership from them to you because the chip shows they own the tortoise?????

Let's ask @JoesMum

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I believe the chip only identifies the tortoise with a registered breeder and doesn't need to be re-registered with anyone with you as owner. However, as Joe is at least two decades pre CITES, don't quote me on that! I'd check back with the breeder/seller.

I do know that you must keep this paperwork securely as t proves your tortoise was not illegally imported and you will need to hand it over to the new owner should you ever decide to sell or rehome your tortoise in future. Also that paperwork is required for you to register any hatchlings bred from your tortoise to prove that they were not bred from an illegal import.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @LFC383 .

I don't live in the UK either, so I cannot help you. Sorry. Hope @JoesMum has been able to.

Please post pics of your tort and his.her enclosure.