Arlington -TTBT

Leapin

Hello! I'm upgrading Arlington's home using a dresser- it's a low and long one. I'm going to need help throughout this journey. First things first - sealing the inside. I'd prefer not to use pond liner, or truck bed roll on liner (?!). Seems like my options are linoleum or a liquid/spray type sealant. Please give me your ideas for what works best. Next, lighting placement (I've got the UVB/UVA and basking lights) heating will come down the road bc the new home is 6ft long so I'll need to change from what we have now. Should I have the basking and UVB/A on the same end? UVB/A in the middle? He seems to prefer low lighting. I'll be hanging/attaching lights on the inside (enclosure access is from the front).
Thanks in advance! I'll be posting (asking) more as the project progresses.

Leapin

I've decided to use polyurethane with some linoleum on the back. I've noticed most turtle tables have a hide on one end only. I've always had one on each end (warm, cool) and as far as the temp/humidity should I be doing warm end- dry and bright, cool end-humid and dark?
I keep posting in hopes someone will finally see this

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's what @GBtortoises said about sealing the wood:

"Many people use liners. I just paint mine with a good quality semi-gloss enamel paint. It's easy to keep clean. I've found that even with the biggest, most restless tortoises I only need to repaint the interiors about every 5-7 years. A few have been in service for 20+ years and only needed repainting once. I've used this same finish with Redfoots that have been kept very humid and never had any problems with mold or anything else.
Sealing any wood with either a good quality hard finish paint or clear coat is a good idea because it will keep moisture and wastes from directly contacting the wood fibers which will absorb it causing a growth bed for mold and bacteria. Sealing wood also makes it much easier to keep clean."

Far as placement of hides, etc. I place my hides at one end and then have the night heat over that end. I like to have the UVB light in the middle. Because your new enclosure will be enclosed, you may not need any extra heat, but if the opposite end stays a bit too cool, you can always mount a CHE on a thermostat at the other end.

I'm interested to see your finished product. Looks nice.

Leapin

I'm almost done with Arlington's dresser! I need to place lights and drill a cord hole

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504030134.722626.jpg

I cut out the middle (left some for support), painted/polyurethaned the inside, put hinges on the false drawers to open out and pond liner inside.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504030173.270001.jpg

I found these foliage mats for super cheap at a craft store, I stapled those to the back. I'll add more to each end when I figure out hides.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504030195.722712.jpg

I added a 'channel' on the inside of each drawer front to set plexiglass in.

I'm having a hard time deciding how I want to refinish the outside.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!!!! What a GREAT build!!!! :)
I'm not very handy at all, so I have nothing to add...what you've done is FAR beyond what I could do!

But I'm glad you put in the pond liner. I originally used 3 layers of semi-gloss latex paint on the walls and bottom of my Hermann's indoor enclosure, but it didn't work out very long. She liked to bury herself in the substrate, and even though it was a good 4 inches deep, she managed to scratch the floor in several places. Once it was scratched through the paint, then the wood started to rot. :( It's still fairly sturdy, despite that. So I took out all the dirt, cleaned the bottom as best I could and put in shower pan liner, then added the dirt back. Seems to be doing fine.

That foliage mat is way cool!!! :)
What will you do for ventilation to prevent mold and fungus?

Leapin

Thank you! The plexiglass sits in that channel and then leans in at the top. It's definitely not air tight, but it can be easily removed for airflow, daily chores (feeding, water changes, misting) and general access. I figure the more waterproofing the better, I painted it also, but still feel better with the liner in there. We attached caster wheels tonight so it will be easier to move once it's inside. Planning to move it in tomorrow, set it up and get the temps right. Hopefully Arlington will move in Tuesday or Wednesday.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I like the greenery on the back wall. Are you using plastic or silk?

Leapin

Thank you! I'm looking for something for my Red Foot now. Maybe an old record/stereo console, or buffet...I'll know it when I see it (and measure it, lol)!