Are you a cat owner? I have an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Try Cayanne pepper. I've heard they hate that. Of course, the problem of putting anything out in your yard means it may affect your animals also. That's the hard part. There was a post in here about someone's property that was lined with big cactus. That could work :) it would keep the dog in and keep the cats out. And you wouldn't even have to make it very tall. They would attempt to jump it wants, but not twice.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The unfortunate reality is that when you remove one cat another usually shows up in it's place. This is why rescue groups that deal with feral cats generally vaccinate, spay and then release them in the same spots.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Even volunteering at the animal shelter it seems cruel. So many pets are in horrible condition from neglected owners. It is terrible to euthanize animals for the simple reason that people neglect them. I find little fault with people bringing in dumped pets they find to a shelter. This gives the owners a chance claim them and the pets are not left to fend for themselves. It does show some responsibility and empathy to make sure somebody else's pet isn't going to face further cruel neglectful treatment.

M

Maggie Cummings

I operate a small special needs turtle and tortoise rescue. I volunteer at the local Chimtimini Wildlife Rescue. I have NEVER EVER hurt any animal. But I have been driven to do something about the loose cats who cause loss of life in my yard AND cause monetary damage to my property. Yet, so many of you concentrate on the cats and the CRUELTY that I supposedly do to these horrible pests. Anybody know how much it will cost to get the cat scratches out of my hood???? $500!!! The owner won't pay it, so I asked her to PLEASE keep her cat in. I retrapped it that very night. Yet I'M the one who is accused of being cruel???? I trapped and took cats to the local SPCA, I retrapped the same cats within a week. So taking to the pound only means I have to trap it again. So I figured if they can kill the wild bunnies, eat all the quail babies, eat the snakes who eat the bugs etc. kill and eat so many of my wild birds, and kill and eat the foxes, they certainly could live in the spots they were dumped.
So I'm thinking that the very next person who calls me cruel, will in backing up their comments about the poor cats, pay for the damage they have cause to my deck, my exotic plants, spraying my $350 car cover, spraying my back door so it smells like cat pee badly, $500 worth of damage to my Camaro...You gonna back your sh*t by doing that? NO? Then you can't back your comments about the "poor cats". And calling me cruel IS a pretty lousy comment from people who don't know me or how I care for animals that need it.
I would like just one of you with the mouths would come spend the night with me and see what it's like to lose things to someone elses animal that I paid a lot of money for.
I certainly have not called any of you pro outside cats people any bad names yet you have called me cruel so easily and without really know what actually happens, without knowing me or Ed. I personally think most of you are seriously out of line, it's one thing to express an opinion, another thing to call a person personally cruel.

@ZEROPILOT ...I think this subject has run it's course, we have people who don't know squat, calling names and not seeing our side at all. I'll ask again, who of you outside cat people are gonna back your sh*t by paying the damages these "poor cats " cause??? It's over 2 grand at my house. Nobody? That's just what I thought, all talk, no action. I'm done

M

Maggie Cummings

Cruelty, like cat dumping, is never okay. Cruelty to ANY animal is ethically and morally wrong. It's about compassion.
Look, here's a person who's going to pay for all the damage the cats have done. Right? You think it's ok what they are doing to me and ED.It is not 'cruel' to relocate some animal that certainly has proven it can feed itself. You don't know me, and you haven't been here long enough to say the things you are saying to or about me. Plus you have no idea what happens at my house, so you have an uneducated opinion, worthless.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I've got spiky climbing bougainvillea growing right now on the fences. But it's not dense enough to help much yet.
I have high hopes for it in the future though.
Hopefully it will grow quickly. Throw some fertilizer on that stuff :) I don't know anything about that plant but maybe you can sort of manipulate it to make it a more dense shield to keep the cats out. Barberry bushes are pretty easy.
There is only so much you can do but if you can make the perimeter unfriendly and keep them out in the first place then the battle is pretty much won.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hopefully it will grow quickly. Throw some fertilizer on that stuff :) I don't know anything about that plant but maybe you can sort of manipulate it to make it a more dense shield to keep the cats out. Barberry bushes are pretty easy.
There is only so much you can do but if you can make the perimeter unfriendly and keep them out in the first place then the battle is pretty much won.
They'll poop in another yard.
Oregon and FLORIDA many many miles apart. So this is not just an issue in the suburbs of Broward county.
Who let's a dog roam wild?
Would you welcome a dog who destroys your property and crap on your lawn? I LOVE dogs. But I wouldn't stand for that either.
This is about cat owners and cat behavior.
I didn't want this subject to get heated. But I understand why it has. The best remedy I've found is not a great one. I got it.
But the other options that would work have been few.
I'll ask for the thread to be closed since so many of us have different ideas about what is appropriate or acceptable.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look, here's a person who's going to pay for all the damage the cats have done. Right? You think it's ok what they are doing to me and ED.It is not 'cruel' to relocate some animal that certainly has proven it can feed itself. You don't know me, and you haven't been here long enough to say the things you are saying to or about me. Plus you have no idea what happens at my house, so you have an uneducated opinion, worthless.
Like I mentioned before. The cats by my job get fed very well.
They aren't looking for food.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
They'll poop in another yard.
Oregon and FLORIDA many many miles apart. So this is not just an issue in the suburbs of Broward county.
Who let's a dog roam wild?
Would you welcome a dog who destroys your property and crap on your lawn? I LOVE dogs. But I wouldn't stand for that either.
This is about cat owners and cat behavior.
I didn't want this subject to get heated. But I understand why it has. The best remedy I've found is not a great one. I got it.
But the other options that would work have been few.
I'll ask for the thread to be closed since so many of us have different ideas about what is appropriate or acceptable.
I'm not sure what location has to do with it. And I don't live in Oregon. And I would feel the same way about dogs. Now who's getting defensive? I just suggested some plants that might work for you. If the cats or dogs or whatever crap in someone else's yard well that's not your problem is it. You can only do something for yourself not for the whole neighborhood.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I'm not sure what location has to do with it. And I don't live in Oregon. And I would feel the same way about dogs. Now who's getting defensive? I just suggested some plants that might work for you. If the cats or dogs or whatever crap in someone else's yard well that's not your problem is it. You can only do something for yourself not for the whole neighborhood.
I was mentioning Oregon as its where Maggie lives. Yes. Location makes no difference.
It's a cat thing.
I actually appreciated your imput.
Sorry things get misunderstood in this type of format.
I'm answering things all at once.
I am defensive because I'm not thrilled about the whole situation or in my remedy.
I'm hoping that the bougainvillea will be helpful in the long term.

M

Maggie Cummings

Yep. I agree, when things get heated it's easier for someone to misunderstand. So, maybe it would settle down some if I left.. It doesn't look like any moderators are on now. So I'll leave and things will cool off. :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
And I'm sorry I was cranky. When it comes to animals or kids people get very opinionated about how they think they should be treated etc.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i like cats , someday i'll probably have another ...... i can tell folks who let their cats roam , there is often food in my turtle pens , often times dog food , when something goes in one of my turtle pens it gets surrounded , it's a tough escape , when one of my dogs gets it , they don't know any better , getting ripped apart by 5 dogs is a horrible way for an animal to die , much kinder if it were hit by a car ..... when i find such a scene i have to wonder how much the owner cared , and i am an extreme animal person , so i'd wish such a death on it's owner ...... jmo .......

Status
Not open for further replies.