Are tortoises safe on the floor?

caits1300

I was just wondering I live in the uk is my tortoise safe to roam around my room or does he need to be under the light at all times?

jaredherman

5 Year Member
RE: Are tortoises safe

Mabye for a photo op but tortoises are not an anmial you take out and "play" with. Its usually much cooler on the floor and theres too many things he can get into that might be dangerous.

tazman37

caits1300 said:
I was just wondering I live in the uk is my tortoise safe to roam around my room or does he need to be under the light at all times?

Should be fine just keep an eye on it because mine goes under the unit and is a pain to get out

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: Are tortoises safe

He should be in an enclosure at all times. Your room is not a safe place for torts to be. Your room probably has things he will try to eat that he shouldn't be eating. Make a nice, large enclosure that he can spend his whole time in. Preferrably outside if at all possible. But if not, he really should be in a nice, large indoor enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

The floor is a dangerous place for a tortoise. Many of them are kicked, stepped on, chewed by other pets, and they often ingest things they shouldn't and its usually too cold down there. Safer for them to be in an enclosure.

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
It depends on so many things. If you have other pets or small children around who might see him as a toy/snack, don't risk it. If there's furniture which he could hide under and get stuck, don't risk it. If you plan on letting him roam around unsupervised all day, don't risk it. It will be much colder down there too, especially if you have laminate or wooden flooring.

If I let my little guy out for a while, I make sure he's supervised and he's in a tort-proofed area. My table is low enough that I can set up a ramp for him to go back in when he wants to without having to wait for me to pick him up, and that works out ok. Sometimes he's not interested in coming out, sometimes he'll spend ages exploring outside.

The other thing you need to consider is the effect he'll have on your stuff. If he thinks something looks like food, he's going to take a bite at it. He'll also rub up against stuff with his shell, and torts aren't known for waiting until they're near a litter tray, if you know what I mean...