Are these termites?

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
Hey guys! Turbos newest enclosure has only been up for a couple of months now and I just noticed a bunch of tiny bugs all over it. To be honest I couldn't tell you how long they've been there, I've never noticed them until about 10 minutes ago when I was out resting my arm on a piece of wood out there. I was out there earlier today and didn't notice but I probably wouldn't have unless I put my arm on it or something. There's so many and they're ALL over it. On the top and bottom pieces and on every side of the enclosure. The wood is supposedly pressure treated. We've never had a problem with this in any past enlosures. If you can see the second story thing with the ramp leading up to it outside of the left side of the enclosure-that came from our old enlosure and there's hardly any there, just a few stragglers here and there.

Can anyone identify these bugs for me? I live in North Central Florida if that matters.

1448753298382.jpg 1448753309711.jpg 1448753320305.jpg 1448753331379.jpg 1448753340476.jpg 1448753359018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
An entomologist I am not, but those don't look like termites to me. They look more like newly hatched roach babies. I don't see the typical termite mouthparts and the antennae are coming out from the wrong par of the head for termites.

Catch a few and put them into an escape proof container with some carrot, dog food and a section of folded cardboard to hide on. Keep the container somewhere warm. After a few molts, we will be able to see it better.

Critta

Today is my birthday!
New Orleans
I can tell you with 100% certainty those are not termites. I did my graduate thesis on Formosan subterranean termites and those in no way, shape or form resemble termites.

The pictures are a little blurry but I'd say they're some sort of "true bug" in the Order Hemiptera. Looks like some sort of 1st or 2nd instar assasin bug nymph.

Last edited:

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The termites we have around here don't have antennae like that, they would get in the way of burrowing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, but that's quite an infestation of silverfish you have there. One normally only sees one or two silverfish at a time, ever!

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looking at those pics, I think Sarah and Steve might be right.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I would say they are about 1-2 mm but I'm also bad at guessing stuff like that. I went out to try to take some more clear pictures and try to guess their size, but they are all gone. I couldn't even find one. I've lived in this town all my life but just recently moved and let me tell you it's made me pretty interested in bugs. We have so many at this house and they're like I've never seen before. My favorite is the tree frogs that I swear can change from white to tan to brown depending on what they're on.
It had rained yesterday prior to those bugs being seen, and I see from Sarah's post that rain can make them come out. I did a real quick Google search and found a site that says they're nocturnal so that could be why they aren't out anymore, it was dark yesterday when I saw them.

Glory Bonilla

Hey Erdevis, I agree with Critta, this image is surely not of Termites, These can be of true bugs, somewhat looks like bug nymph. After reading this conversation I suddenly got to remember about the incident happened at my sister's house. A rodent was there in her garden area, but she was also confused about the identity of a Rodent whether it is dormouse, rat or hamster . Then one of her neighbour contacted to Professional exterminator Sacramento CA at :- www.californiarodentcontrol.com to identify the pest. Likewise you can also take some useful reference by contacting Professional pest controller team to find out whether it is a bug or termite.

Rue

Canada
I realize this is an old thread, but those are psocoptera (or book lice, sometimes called wood lice). Harmless for the most part.