are these safe?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Jay, take a look at the answer I posted to your other thread about the Kai Choi about searching for plant names.

There are lots of brassica family plants in your pictures. They are all fine in moderation but you don't want to feed all brassica plants and nothing else!

Take a look at this pictorial of common Chinese greens: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/asian-green-guide.html and look for the "non" brassicas. On this they include AA choi; en choy (amaranth); fava greens; malabar spinach; snow pea leaves; and water spinach.

AA choi should be very easy to find and most of the others as well.

Your second picture is Chrysanthemum, a do not feed.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I imagine you have an Indian market near you? Look for methi (fenugreek) and moringa there. (You might find moringa at an Asian market as well.)

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I imagine you have an Indian market near you? Look for methi (fenugreek) and moringa there. (You might find moringa at an Asian market as well.)
Are those fine to feed everyday or in moderation? as part of a varied diet of course. Thanks a lot, Theres a market just 5 minutes away from me and they have plenty of stuff I've never seen before. I will look for these and give them a try :).

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
In moderation can mean a lot of things! Most of the foods you have found so far are in the brassica family. These plants have a lot of calcium , which is good! But also some other things that are not so good if you feed them too much.

I have a horsefield tortoise, not a Hermann's. In the wild horsefields eat a lot of brassicas, so I feed them several times a week.

I'm not an expert on Hermann's; you can check Chris' thread on their care in the Hermann's thread.

From my very limited knowledge, maybe 20% of their diet would be okay. Less might be better.

I know figuring foods out is difficult. For sure you want plenty of foods in the aster family. Aster is a huge plant family, it includes daisies and all the lettuces. The problem with most grocery store lettuces is that they've been modified to taste sweeter to you and I.

The AA choi is lettuce, but it is less modified. It has more fiber in its thick stem and fewer sugars. I as another names, that's why you want to be ready to Google them on your phone. Also look for other things that say lettuce in the English translation on the label. You could add in more expensive chicories from your own grocery store. Chicories are in the aster family and typically have more fiber and less sugar. I think I have mentioned them before.

The other plants I referenced from the Serious Eats list are from different plant families altogether; that's why they are so good at helping form a varied diet.

A rule of thumb I've seen here on the forum is to have at least a dozen foods in rotation. For a Hermann's, a majority (perhaps halfish?) should be in the aster family

It gets easier. Your tortoise will be fine while you start learning other foods.