Are these safe for my tortoises?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What does it do? Is it some sort of light?

If the rodents can see it, so can your tortoises.

I just use snap traps where the tortoises can't reach them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It looks like it's one of those ultrasound repellants that makes a noise that adult humans can't hear.

A neighbour had some outdoors and they drove my teenagers nuts. They probably distress most pets - dogs, cats, hamsters, etc but I gave no idea if torts are affected.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also have no idea if sonic rodent deterrents could be heard by a tortoise.
I use traps.
I hate doing it.
But they are the most effective way of dealing with an exploding rodent population.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It is ultrasound. It states non rodent pets cannot hear it. Says safe for dogs. I hate traps so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't use those, but another kind and they don't work. My torts acted no different. The scented stuff doesn't work either. I use the snap traps like Tom mentioned. Only things that seem to work.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What about live traps followed by a long drive to rehome?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I fell for that trap several years ago and bought something similar for every room in my house. They don't work.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about live traps followed by a long drive to rehome?

There has been a significant amount of research done on this topic and the short version is that it doesn't work.

When a wild animal is removed from its home territory, the chances of survival are almost zero. What awaits them in their new home is slow starvation, death by predator since they don't know where to hide, and territorial fighting with whatever animal of their species that already occupies the release spot.

It sure feels good to a human to not kill the pest animal directly, but by relocating it, we are sentencing it to a horrible painful fate instead of a quick humane death.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
There has been a significant amount of research done on this topic and the short version is that it doesn't work.

When a wild animal is removed from its home territory, the chances of survival are almost zero. What awaits them in their new home is slow starvation, death by predator since they don't know where to hide, and territorial fighting with whatever animal of their species that already occupies the release spot.

It sure feels good to a human to not kill the pest animal directly, but by relocating it, we are sentencing it to a horrible painful fate instead of a quick humane death.
I've wondered about this. I live in the city, and I relocate a few animals a year away from my property. I've been considering putting away the live traps and replacing them with a good pellet gun.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I fell for that trap several years ago and bought something similar for every room in my house. They don't work.
They worked for me!

I have a different brand, The Home Sentinel 3in1. Reviews on this were 50/50. People either claimed it worked great or not at all. There was no in between. It works for us and has at all 3 different houses we've lived in.

We have multiple units on different circuits for greater coverage.

To answer your question, it never seemed to affect any of the tortoises.