Are "houses" for other small animals okay for tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutail

5 Year Member
I bought a "treehouse" today that I though would work as a hiding spot for my russian tort. It says it is for rats, guinea pigs and chincillas, but it seems like it could work for my tort. That being said, I'm also worried it might not be safe for my tortoise.

It's this product:
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Small-Animal/Accessories/Cage-Acces.-Natural-Wood/61405

I have it arched like a half log, which I only got because the store I was at didn't have them. This product cost $5, so I don't care if I can't use it.

I don't have my tort yet, btw, I'm only setting up his habitat, so it is not being used.

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Should be fine. Very creative thinking actually. I like thinking out of the box.:D

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Yup, those should be fine. I would only be concerned about cedar products, but as these are designed for rodents to eat, I highly doubt they would have used a notoriously toxic type of wood for that.

Creative thinking like that is how a lot of reptile products got started! Tanks, thermometers, gravel, sand...all stolen from aquariums and fish keeping!

I love using those little plastic houses meant for hamsters for my snakes and skinks to hide in, and routinely use bird toys for my chinchillas to chew up. :) Creativity is where it's at!

-Jen

tutail

5 Year Member
Thanks a lot. :) I hope my new tort likes it.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
A couple of those came with a tortoise I adopted. They are very sturdy and long lasting.

Status
Not open for further replies.