are Horsfield tortoises (Russian tortoises) good climbers?

matt9626

He's only a little guy but I often see him on top of things that look too big for him to get on to. This is one photo of what he gets onto a lot. My question is, why would he?

His name is John Lennon

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394967567921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394967567921.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 75
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394967605687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394967605687.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 73
  • uploadfromtaptalk1394967639264.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394967639264.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 77

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are great climbers. I have watched my adult Russian climb straight up. They are always looking to get out, to explore more area. In the wild they cover a lot of area daily. Although small, they do need a lot of space.

I also need to add, the pellets you have him on is the worst substrate you could use. Get him on some dirt, or coconut coir and add a humidity of around 60-70%. He is already showing some slight signs of pyramiding.

matt9626

I thought something like dirt, sand or coconut coir would be better, but the reptile 'expert' said that these tortoise pellets are best because if the tortoise eats them they go straight through with no problems and don't get caught. He gets plenty if space to explore :) in the evenings I have him in the lounge room and he loves to explore. Always getting into little spots :)

Also, we only got him not even two weeks ago so any health issues would be from the reptile stores care and not mine right? I think I look after him really well. Well I hope so at least :D

With the pyramiding thing. I heard the only way to prevent it is Vitamin D and Calcium. He gets 12 hours of UV a day for Vitamin D and he has a special reptile powder put on his food every Tuesday and Friday to keep his shell strong (its got calcium, Vitamin A, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and minerals Na, Fe, Co, I, Mn, Zn, Se and Cu. Is there anything else I can do to stop the pyramiding?

His shell seems smooth and not pyramiding to me. But maybe its the early signs? I don't know.

Thanks.

Oh also... I think my camera exaggerates his curves in his shell XD

Hjulmgunnar

Montana
Russians are escqpe artists -- seriously they're little Hodinis. I've never had one climb out of its indoor habitat but I have had some successful escapes from my out door and tortoise coral, but that was more of a digging thing, I don't think they'd be able to get out unless I built them stairs -- which I highly advise against.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes they are extremely agile climbers, at least for a hard shelled tortoise.
314zabk.jpg

The "expert" you have been consulting is not. He/she has old, outdated, incorrect info, and is passing it on to you and anyone else who will listen. Please go back and try to stop this flow of bad info in whatever way you think will work. You might fail, but please TRY, so that more people are not misled like you were.

Your substrate and diet is totally wrong, and that makes me question everything else this "expert" told you. Here is how you should be housing and feeding them: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html

And here is another thread that might help you, given your pics: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

I hope we are able to help get you up to speed for the benefit of your young tortoise.

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I've noticed that even with some missing toes on 2 feet, mine climbs up really well... It's down he's more hesitant about...

macky9326

Scotland
Ditto what Tom said, it's amazing what "experts" have told me, the people on this forum (including tom) brought me right uptoo speed

matt9626

The woman shouldn't call herself and expert then if she's wrong. She's quite old though so maybe this was how to raise a tortoise 50 years ago? XD I don't think I'll be taking advice from her again :)

Thanks guys

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
There is a video on youtube of a Russian getting some outside time in a big dog crate like playpen. He climbs up the side of it, onto the top, at which point he is hanging upside down, and just sort of chills like he wanted to sun his belly. The companion came and got him down before he fell but still, quite a feat.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
All old information is not void...all old information is not bad....there are a few good things that you can implement in the care of a tort these days that have always been in play, but just not mainstream.

You have a species that is very prone to shell rot, so I would take great care before creating an entire enclosure dedicated to high humidity...I would agree to offer a warm humid hide/area that the tort can access at any time they feel the need to juicy up....but I believe you will run into shell rot issues if you run high humidity on a constant in the entire enclosure....

I would change the substrate, and the reason why I would do this, is because this is a species that will naturally wiggle/dig itself down several feet into the earth when they become too hot or too cold (depending on the time of year) until you can not see the tort any longer....this means that a deep earth type substrate would be more fun/functional for the tort...if you use an earth substrate you will want to be sure to hand pack the substrate to allow for a steady surface for the tort to develop his leg muscles...when you have a squishy substrate the tort can not walk as readily as on earth type substrate....also, when you use an earth type substrate you can then wet the substrate near/under the basking spot (which should be at about 100 degrees to allow the tort to heat up and digest food and work up an appetite)..If you are going to run a humid area in the enclosure then please also remember to offer night heat in that same area so the area does not become a cool wet place (cool+wet=sick tort, warm+humid=good area).

The tortoise should be offered dark green leafy items, you can also mix in some spring mix, radicchio and such....also, if you want to offer a treat--some zucchini, squash and a touch of cucumber will be yummy plus will also offer some internal hydration....a win win, but just as a treat :D

Yes, these guys are like the Spiderman of the tortoise world;

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3659/morkclimbing03.jpg

Also, ANYONE who lays claim to being an expert is a liar, there is no such thing---healthy/proper/successful tortoise care is still very new to humans, especially when you take into account tortoise being kept successfully in captivity---to have a tort in your care for 20 or 30 years is just a drop in the bucket in the lifespan of a tort....:D

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
ascott said:
All old information is not void...all old information is not bad....there are a few good things that you can implement in the care of a tort these days that have always been in play, but just not mainstream.

You have a species that is very prone to shell rot, so I would take great care before creating an entire enclosure dedicated to high humidity...I would agree to offer a warm humid hide/area that the tort can access at any time they feel the need to juicy up....but I believe you will run into shell rot issues if you run high humidity on a constant in the entire enclosure....

I would change the substrate, and the reason why I would do this, is because this is a species that will naturally wiggle/dig itself down several feet into the earth when they become too hot or too cold (depending on the time of year) until you can not see the tort any longer....this means that a deep earth type substrate would be more fun/functional for the tort...if you use an earth substrate you will want to be sure to hand pack the substrate to allow for a steady surface for the tort to develop his leg muscles...when you have a squishy substrate the tort can not walk as readily as on earth type substrate....also, when you use an earth type substrate you can then wet the substrate near/under the basking spot (which should be at about 100 degrees to allow the tort to heat up and digest food and work up an appetite)..If you are going to run a humid area in the enclosure then please also remember to offer night heat in that same area so the area does not become a cool wet place (cool+wet=sick tort, warm+humid=good area).

The tortoise should be offered dark green leafy items, you can also mix in some spring mix, radicchio and such....also, if you want to offer a treat--some zucchini, squash and a touch of cucumber will be yummy plus will also offer some internal hydration....a win win, but just as a treat :D

Yes, these guys are like the Spiderman of the tortoise world;

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3659/morkclimbing03.jpg

Also, ANYONE who lays claim to being an expert is a liar, there is no such thing---healthy/proper/successful tortoise care is still very new to humans, especially when you take into account tortoise being kept successfully in captivity---to have a tort in your care for 20 or 30 years is just a drop in the bucket in the lifespan of a tort....:D

I agree with a lot of what you said but I rrespectfully disagree about the night time heat over the humid area. These torts come from areas where it get can cold and rain. I would think that as long as you give the tort options, it will choose the most comfortable location and do fine without night heat (assuming indoor temps are not extremely cold).