Are hermanns tortoises supposed to walk like this?

Per Ehn

Hi tortoise forum!

I have my Hermann’s tortoise for almost ten years (!) now and I've always found her way of walking a bit peculiar. As a small kid I had a leopard tortoise living in my back yard (this was in Mozambique, Africa) and I remember their shell being levitated off the ground while walking, while my current pet tortoise seem to be dragging the shell against the ground.

Is this a species specific behavior or could it have something to do with not getting proper exercise in captivity? I know that Kenan from Kamp Kenan on Youtube built a “tortoise gym” for his Galapagos tortoises in one of his earlier episodes so they would get stronger hind legs.

Please check my attached image comparing various tortoise species, what are your guys’ thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely:
/// Per & Idamia

The Kamp Kenan episode I'm referring to:

Tortoise walk.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome :)

I would expect the tort to pick its shell clear of the ground. Joe drags his a little sometimes when he's first up before he has basked, but once he is warmed up and ready to go he stands clear.

Can you post pics of your tort and his enclosure please? Also, does the shell feel hard all over or are there any spots that are slightly soft on top or underneath?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your Hermanni should pick himself up off the ground just like is shown in the other two pictures. Your tortoise may have some sort of nerve damage or maybe bone and muscle weakness due to calcium deficiency. It would be a good idea to find a vet who is knowledgeable about tortoises and have your tortoise evaluated.

Per Ehn

Hi again and thanks for all your inputs!

Her shell is hard and pyramiding free and she has been examined by a vet.

I might have exaggerated a bit when I wrote that she completely when I wrote that she always drags her shell while walking, it’s not quite that bad!

Maybe I feel this way because I often keep her in my back yard and the grass might cover up the space between the ground and her shell, but it seems to me that Hermann’s tortoises don’t levitate their shells while walking as much as other species do.

Here are a few Instagram clips of my tortoise and her enclosure :)

https://instagram.com/p/4RUe-VNF2A/

https://instagram.com/p/4lu9bYNF5j/?taken-by=lunalitenxvx

https://instagram.com/p/4tpk-wNF3Z/?taken-by=lunalitenxvx

https://instagram.com/p/4UZZNBNF0x/?taken-by=lunalitenxvx

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aldabras do have particularly long legs. Joe's clearance is definitely higher when he is fully warmed up and storming round. If he is only just awake or cooling down he seems much lower

Per Ehn

Hi!
Unfortunately I don't have one of those fancy thermometers that show humidity yet, but i try to spray the enclosure regularly. Any tips on how to make it less dry? :-(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What are you using for substrate?. You simply dump a half gallon of water in it and give it a good stir. Some substrate don't absorb the water properly though and would just float on it. Coco coir and orchid bark will absorb the water

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Your tortoise is walking fine for its species. Hermann's tortoises do not exhibit a "tall walk" like Radiated or Galapagos tortoises to name a few. However, they should never drag their legs. Also, your tortoise appears to be a male based on overall shape and the impressive suprecaudal shield (scute just above the tail) which is large, dipped down and curved inward. If you post a plastron photo I can tell you for sure but it certainly does not look female from these videos at all.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I find that the Greeks here, walk high up on their toes when confident, warm and well-fed, but if they feel insecure or exposed, say in a new area, or open to the sky with no cover available they will protectively walk with the plastron much closer to the ground.
Likewise, if they are poorly fed or cold they will tend to 'drag' themselves about more

Per Ehn

Thank you for all your inputs!

I use a mixure of soil, bark and a little bit of moss in her inclosure :)