Are enclosures essential?

murple

5 Year Member
Hi

I'd be interested in your thoughts. My tortoise is never really in his enclosure and likes to be out and about. At present it's indoors as we're in London and it's nippy out. But then it got me thinking why do I have the enclosure? He's hardly under his heat lamp as he's roaming. He's a Russian btw.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Only if you want your tort safe ! Cause torts taste test everything their not sapose to . Dust rubber cords , fuss on rugs ! The floor is the coldest part of a house . Cause I don't think your house is over 80 degrees . Where does your tort get UV rays from sence glass blocks out UV rays .
Yes a tort should have his / her own space !

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Your tortoise needs to bask at 35C in order to raise its core temperature to digest food and be healthy and active. It is cold blooded and cannot do this without external heat.

Your tortoise needs highish humidity (60-80% depending on size) to grow a healthy shell.

Your tortoise needs UVB light, which doesn't pass through window glass, in order to create Vitamin D, which it can't obtain from diet like you can. The Vitamin D is essential for it to process dietary calcium so that it has healthy bones and shell and doesn't develop Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD).

Your tortoise needs earthy substrate around 4"/10cm so it can dig and burrow as it would in the wild.

Your tortoise needs not to be exposed to things that can cause obstructions in the gut like hair and dust bunnies.

Your tortoise is an escape artist; all Russians are. Time and again we get posts on TFO from owners who have lost or stepped on their torts after only being distracted for a moment.

Your tortoise needs to live in a properly set up, large enclosure in order to be healthy and unstressed and not become ill.

Please read the following to see the most up to date information on how to raise a healthy Horsfield. They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi

I'd be interested in your thoughts. My tortoise is never really in his enclosure and likes to be out and about. At present it's indoors as we're in London and it's nippy out. But then it got me thinking why do I have the enclosure? He's hardly under his heat lamp as he's roaming. He's a Russian btw.
Yes. Your tortoise needs an enclosure that is designed and maintained to meet its needs. Letting it roam the house is an accident waiting to happen and eventually it will.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I think this is pretty clear now... hopefully... It needs an enclosure. You can build a large outdoor enclosure for the summer months if you'd like to give him free roam of an area. You can build him a large indoor enclosure too for that matter...

murple

5 Year Member
He has an outside and inside enclosure both specially made for him so they are suitable. The outside enclosure is also large. But it doesn't matter how big they are he doesn't like staying in them. Outside he has no choice as there are dangers. Inside he can roam outside his enclosure as I've put in place safety measures.

murple

5 Year Member
I've had him over 5 years and researched well. Was thinking of setting something up slightly differently rather than not having anything for him. He has a lamp and a plain heat lamp for night. He has correct substrate etc...

Thanks for you opinions I'll keep it as it is.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He has an outside and inside enclosure both specially made for him so they are suitable. The outside enclosure is also large. But it doesn't matter how big they are he doesn't like staying in them. Outside he has no choice as there are dangers. Inside he can roam outside his enclosure as I've put in place safety measures.
Safety measures yes. Warmth, basking heat and humidity probably not.

murple

5 Year Member
If you saw my other comment I talked about a different set up where he would have access to all of those things. Thanks for your advice