Appropriate Humidity for Mediterranean Tortoises

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Clemente, California
Hi,

I am a bit confused about appropriate humidity levels for Mediterranean Tortoises. I am in a beach town in Southern California and have been told either a Russian, Greek or Hermanns is my best choice. Our humidity averages between 70-80%, however, the care sheets show much lower humidity numbers for these Mediterranean torts.

Any suggestions?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
70-80% would be very nice. Even though the care sheets say so, a lot of people think torts are desert animals and need low humidity. I keep my russian in the 70s, but let it dip down sometimes for the natural feel :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is very debatable. I have never seen an issue with a greek or hermanni in a beachy climate, as long as they have a warm retreat for the cold clammy days. Many of them come from coastal areas in their countries of origin. There are forum members keeping their Testudo humid and having excellent result, but that is a story for them to tell.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
This is very debatable. I have never seen an issue with a greek or hermanni in a beachy climate, as long as they have a warm retreat for the cold clammy days. Many of them come from coastal areas in their countries of origin. There are forum members keeping their Testudo humid and having excellent result, but that is a story for them to tell.
Tom,
Do you recommend keeping the hide even more humid or are the levels I mentioned sufficient?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your indoor enclosure will be as dry as any other in any other American home, so for that I do recommend a humid hide. Outdoors, you should probably leave the heated night box dry. Adding humidity to your already humid cool beach air, won't be necessary and could be detrimental.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
Your indoor enclosure will be as dry as any other in any other American home, so for that I do recommend a humid hide. Outdoors, you should probably leave the heated night box dry. Adding humidity to your already humid cool beach air, won't be necessary and could be detrimental.
Got it!
Thanks again.