Applying oils on shells and body

rolley

I had read some threads..that they apply coconut oils on the shells and massaging them with oils...is this a good practice ? Which oil or any thing else will be good for massaging them...if it's a good practice how often should I do this ?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
I had read some threads..that they apply coconut oils on the shells and massaging them with oils...is this a good practice ? Which oil or any thing else will be good for massaging them...if it's a good practice how often should I do this ?
I'm not sure if it's good or not, but the oil is cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil, I believe.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
If you let your tort roam outside after oiling, don't they end up caked with dirt?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
How often? Never.

A layer of oil, creams or other coatings may inhibit the absorption of UVB for a tortoise. As well as dirt and debris being able to readily cling to the shell, particularly the areas within the scute seams, this can promote bacteria and fungal growth. This can lead to health problems for a tortoise.

There is no practical or beneficial reason to apply oils or anything else but water to a tortoise's shell.

Loritort

How often? Never.

A layer of oil, creams or other coatings may inhibit the absorption of UVB for a tortoise. As well as dirt and debris being able to readily cling to the shell, particularly the areas within the scute seams, this can promote bacteria and fungal growth. This can lead to health problems for a tortoise.

There is no practical or beneficial reason to apply oils or anything else but water to a tortoise's shell.

I don't think putting organic coconut oil on the torties shell once a month is harmful. It's moisturizing.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I wouldn't do this unless their shell scute s are growing wrong . Some times the scutes stick together. In the wild they don't have people oiling them down . If a health problem happened then yes help them . Will it hurt them ? Probably not but why waste money on oil . Buy them some thing like more food .

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I don't think putting organic coconut oil on the torties shell once a month is harmful. It's moisturizing.

He didn't say it was harmful. He said it can pose health concerns. Tortoise shells don't need "moisturizing" if habitats are set up properly. Not worth risking the health of the tortoise.

Loritort

Ok. I put coconut oil on my buddies shell and it looks fantastic! I don't believe It's a health risk.

Loritort

Again, not saying it DOES pose a health problem, but it definitely CAN. It hardly seems worth the risk for a shiny shell.

Perhaps you can have a drink and loosen up. It really isn't that big of a deal:)

Loritort

I use it on my little buddy who has an amazing shell. It's a choice and it's perfectly fine.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I use it on my little buddy who has an amazing shell. It's a choice and it's perfectly fine.

I'm guessing that you are equating a shiny shell with "an amazing shell". How reflective or clean a shell is is no indication of shell health. I keep responding to you because you continually express something along the lines of "it's perfectly fine". The truth is we have no evidence that oiling a shell does anything, but there are legitimate concerns. Whether or not they happen to your tortoise is beside the point. It's fine if you choose to oil your tortoise's shell, but stop espousing that choice as if it is backed up by any data.

Now I'm done. :)

Loritort

Glad you're done! It isn't worth continuing this discussion over using coconut oil on a shell. Doom and gloom and worst case scenarios are unnecessary! Have a great night Kevin:)

Loritort

I use it for my tortie and it works well. The shell appears on the dry side at times and the coconut oil gives it a nice glow. Since it isn't harmful to the tortoise,why is this so concerning to people?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Because it's not natural . We try to stay in the guidelines of nature. If you want to oil up and sit out in the sun that's on you . But a tortoise shell soaks up moisture from its environment. Oil blocks this . It can also heat up the tortoise if the wrong oil is used . These are just my opinions . A little oil to help moisturize stuck scutes is fine . But to add shine . I wouldn't do it . But it's your animal . Plus the long term effects may workout. You never know until you try it . Are these indoor tortoises or outdoor tortoises ?I'm thinking the oil would effectively heat the animal in the sunshine . Same as you tanning with oils. But I'm not sure . Only time will tell if it's good or bad .

Loritort

Thank you. I respect your thoughts. My buddy lives inside but I try to get him out in the sun everyday for an hour or so. It's cute to watch him play.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I'm not staunchly on either side, or an expert but I figured I'd add:

Coconut oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. If it isn't caked on, it could theoretically provide a slight advantage in avoiding fungal or bacterial infection.

Iirc, Tortoises do not absorb uvb through the shell. Only the skin. Application of coconut oil to the shell should not hinder uvb absorption. Occasional application to the skin should not have much impact either, given the uvb exposure needs of tortoises amount to about 3/4 hours of sunshine a week.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't know if there's any benefit, however I can't really imagine there is any real concerns either.

Please don't get angry at me! Just another voice chiming in!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
With many people thinking about moisture influencing pyramiding, I wonder if it would make any difference to have the keratin moisturized outside of humidity?