Anyone have space to rent for my sulcata while under construction?

KaP

I am currently seeking temporary shelter for my 17 year old sulcata. My husband and I are needing to do construction on our property that requires the use of our tortoises habitat area. I have worked so hard to keep him, however have no square footage left for during construction and am asking that if you or anyone you know could care for him while we finish our project and seek out a new awesome space for him. I am not interested in putting him up for adoption, I have raised him since he could fit in the palm of my hand and my family is mostly out of state, with those that are here aren't willing to convert their properties to accommodate for him (if you are familiar with sulcata you know what I mean). He is very healthy and personable. I hope our construction will be within a years time and I could afford to compensate monetarily for this arrangement. I am aware it is not an easy task taking care of a sulcata, however if you have one I hope you feel the same as I that these are amazing creatures and enjoy very much that we've been able to be their keepers. Thank you for any assistance provided. We are located in Long Beach, CA.

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I would recommend a tortoise rescue in your area....explain the situation; and offer a donation as well as the food costs; etc. I know of some rescues that offer a sitting service.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My problem would be the same as yours - space. When I take in a larger male sulcata rescue, I have to put him in the back yard. That means I can't take in any more large male sulcatas until I adopt out that one because there isn't another quarantine pen large enough. If I took in yours, that would mean I wouldn't be able to take in any large male sulcatas until your construction project is finished and he goes home. As I take in about 10 or 15 of the larger ones a year, this would really put a crimp in my style. I'd like to accommodate you, but I just can't, I'm sorry.

I think most rescues would have the same problem. Your best bet is try to find someone with no tortoises who would be willing to care for him for you. Someone who is thinking about getting a sulcata. This would help them to decide.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seeing a lot has to be done to ones hard to be sulcata safe, I think your only going to find people that either already have sulcatas that probably won't have room for another large one, specially a make or someone looking to get one and wouldn't want to only care for one then have to give it up.
Is there no way to keep him during this construction, even if it's in a smaller area? Possibly do one side of the yard at a time so you can move him accordingly?
Good luck.