Anyone happy living in new york?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So the wonderful mayor bloomberg (sarcasm activated) Recently wants to ban large sugary drinks. Now this they want to limit foods at movie theaters including popcorn, anyone happy with this? http://www.myfoxny.com/story/18774940/health-panel-talks-about-wider-food-ban
I feel for new yorkers who are adults and like to be treated like adults, though I live in California, I am honestly surprised this state did not come up with this first. A sad day for freedom and liberty I guess.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The sad thing is. If New York gets away with it, it will spread to others:(. Our rights are slowly being taken:(

BTW I don't live in NY.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I'm not a lawyer but I do play one on TV, I honestly don't know how this could stand up in a legal challenge.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Agreed, I bet they could careless about the drinks too. It's just one step closer to taking away our freedoms. They pass laws like that and before you know it we aren't able to choose what doctor we see... Oh wait they did that already.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I hate processed foods and think Americans are too fat, but taking away the right to be fat isn't the solution :rolleyes:

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
I live in NY and I can't stand Bloomberg. Everything has gone up; property taxes, water, tolls, etc. It is very expensive to live here. I can honestly say that everything has doubled in the last 10 year starting with the last idiot that was in office (The Mayor of the World).

Regarding the doctors one can see has to do with your medical plan. Blame it on your greedy health insurance company.

Regarding freedom, that is what they want you to believe...

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't know guys, the UK has lots of limits on the amounts of sugars and salts that are allowed in their food, but it isn't exactly turning into a communist state over there.

I'm not saying it's okay to limit simple things like this, but it could truly just be for our health.

Disclaimer: I do not live in NY, or consume sugary drinks on a regular basis.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
My main problem/issue/concern is I am an adult I don't need the government telling me what to eat.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
dmmj said:
So the wonderful mayor bloomberg (sarcasm activated) Recently wants to ban large sugary drinks. Now this they want to limit foods at movie theaters including popcorn, anyone happy with this? http://www.myfoxny.com/story/18774940/health-panel-talks-about-wider-food-ban
I feel for new yorkers who are adults and like to be treated like adults, though I live in California, I am honestly surprised this state did not come up with this first. A sad day for freedom and liberty I guess.

I saw his interview on the news tonight! :rolleyes:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
but it could truly just be for our health.

Well, last time I checked I had one mother.... unfortunately this type of belief is what gets rammed down the throat of the many based on what the few believe is "in their best interest" ("their" meaning someone else has the nerve to believe that what they think is more important than what I think and since they believe it they think it is their right to make decisions for someone else, no thank you)

for our health?....really, what about all the crud that is regulated as safe and healthy only to then later be reported to be a load of sh*t? Again, a few deciding they should be in control of the masses...no thank you.

I raise my son, I have paid taxes since I was 15 1/2, I married, I divorced, I smoke, I drink, I cuss, I have hot monkey sex (when I get the opportunity...lol)...I hike, I garden, I make my way through this life I was blessed with to experience.....if I die from cancer (it sure won't be from the smoking---but rather all the crap that "they" vote to put in our food, our air, our clothes, our shampoo, our world) I love a greasy cheeseburger and greasy fries from time to time, I love sugary chocolate shakes.....I live in a part of the world that attempts to lead the masses to believe we are free....well, nothing is free, especially when we keep handing our choices and lives away to the highest bidder or the fastest talker....but lets not forget, it is for our own good...

I have taught my son to operate a firearm, I have taught my son to always question authority and ask that designated authority who they are suppose to answer to if not he, part of the masses....I teach my son he is responsible for his actions, he is responsible for the choices he makes and not his friends, I teach my son to tell the folks he loves that he indeed does--especially when departing a visit or conversation...I teach my son to be respectful of others and their choices and to demand the same from others and to encourage him to decide if he wants to be around someone or not....as he does not owe anyone anything....

I am always amused by when a report says, a new law was voted into place---because most times I have never heard of any such upcoming vote---well, until after it is done....I am curious as to who this group of people are that are making the decisions, certainly can not be the masses, as I am part of the masses and I sure as hell would not vote for such foolery....voting---that in itself is a huge farce....

It starts off with little things....well lots of little things over time can create a big ole pile of sh*t if gone unnoticed....unquestioned...unchecked...never go down without swinging....one of my favorite sayings is ; "if you don't fight for something you will fall for anything" ....sure the group that votes out large sugary drinks, votes out smoking in your own yard, votes out individual food choices...votes out the right to arm ones self ...are not the problem---the problem is at the hands of the folks that drop their head and simply shake it side to side but do nothing.....

oh yeah....no, I do not live in New York....a little to crowded for my taste....:D

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I agree with you David. I don't like someone telling me what to do, what to eat, how to eat it, if I can smoke or not, if I can own a snake ....etc. Most New Yorker's do what they want anyway....law or no law. This law is a joke anyway. You may not be able to get served a nice BIG sugary drink, but there's nothing to prevent you from going up to the drink bar and getting as many re-fills as you want in most restaurants here, especially the fast food ones, so most people don't care about this law. Unfortunately, this kind of stupidity (not caring about this law) is how your rights are taken away from you little by little, until you have none left. I just hope everyone remembers this in the coming election.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Actually I might be against ascott having hot monkey sex.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
If the health care reform is upheld I'd expect to see more of this. Generally any law the legislature/executive passes will withstand judicial scrutiny if the government can prove that there is a legitimate state interest in upholding the legislation. Once the government is on the hook for a broader range of health care expenses, you can bet the state will have a legitimate interest in outlawing/banning activities/products that will cost it more money.

BTW, not from New York, but I did hike through it on the AT. That portion of the state was very nice, including the people I ran into. A very different experience from my visits to NY, NY.

Also, I enjoy the 'responsible' consumption of disgustingly greasy food, sugary drinks, alcoholic beverages, and a host of other things that someone somewhere probably thinks I should avoid.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
from what ive seen of monkeys... Im not sure how Hot that would be....a a monkey/ape the size of a gorilla and a 'Pinkie finger'... think a bit... how hot is that?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
My main problem/issue/concern is I am an adult I don't need the government telling me what to eat.

I agree and like you said earlier, I am surprised CA didn't come up with this one first.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Time for the devil's advocate to chime in: isn't this a public health issue? We regulate pollution, prescription meds, alcohol, and cigarettes. Shouldn't we also regulate junk food?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
dmmj said:

My BIG problem with this issue is that the foods they are wanting to regulate at the consumer end are comodities and subsidised at the production end. Maybe instead of regulating us they could just quit those particular subsidies?

terryo said:
I agree with you David. I don't like someone telling me what to do, what to eat, how to eat it, if I can smoke or not, if I can own a snake ....etc. Most New Yorker's do what they want anyway....law or no law. This law is a joke anyway. You may not be able to get served a nice BIG sugary drink, but there's nothing to prevent you from going up to the drink bar and getting as many re-fills as you want in most restaurants here, especially the fast food ones, so most people don't care about this law. Unfortunately, this kind of stupidity (not caring about this law) is how your rights are taken away from you little by little, until you have none left. I just hope everyone remembers this in the coming election.

LOL I don't want them telling WHAT I can smoke, either!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Time for the devil's advocate to chime in: isn't this a public health issue? We regulate pollution, prescription meds, alcohol, and cigarettes. Shouldn't we also regulate junk food?

Then what next sex, because that too is a health issue? I am sorry, but what I do to MY body is my business. If you want to use the health care cost for people because of poor diets, then perhaps we should consider requiring all women to have their breast removed because after all they may get breast cancer and we don't want those health care costs either do we? The point is, simply where do we stop? If it is something like smoking, which produces second hand health concerns for others, then I can see some regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.