Anybody used rockwool for sulcata before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godcomplex

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia , jakarta - bali
I found that in my local gardening store , they sell this material called rockwool. Has anybody use it for tortoise bedding? Is it harmful? Im thinking to change my current bedding( coco coir) to rockwool because coco coir irritates my sulcata eyes. Any comment?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I never heard of rockwool. What is it?

When considering substrate, you want one that can hold moisture without molding, is non-toxic, is suitable for burrowing, and will not cause compaction if eaten. If it meets these criteria, then you're good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Rockwool is used as a building/insulation material. It grows bacteria if allowed to become wet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If the coir is irritating your tortoise eyes, it is probably too dry and not compacted. Wet it and hand press it down. It's good stuff. If you still don't like it, try orchid bark. Also available at the hard ware store sometimes.

Godcomplex

5 Year Member
Tom said:
If the coir is irritating your tortoise eyes, it is probably too dry and not compacted. Wet it and hand press it down. It's good stuff. If you still don't like it, try orchid bark. Also available at the hard ware store sometimes.

Its always moist and but i think ill try to compact it, because i never done that before.. Thanks tom

Jd3

5 Year Member
Godcomplex said:
Laura said:
how about dirt?

Dirt contaminated with bacteria. But i dont know maybe if it go to the oven first itll be fine.

I'm not sure why people think their pets come from sterile lands of no bacteria and such. If the dirt is clean without toxins it will be fine.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Godcomplex said:
Laura said:
how about dirt?

Dirt contaminated with bacteria. But i dont know maybe if it go to the oven first itll be fine.

Torts are outdoor animals, naturally-occuring bacteria in the dirt won't harm them. If this is for an indoor enclosure, the oven might be a good idea to make sure the dirt isn't harvesting any bug eggs that you don't want in your home.

Personally, I like using dirt. Its cheap, it holds moisture well, its great for digging and burrowig, and you can grown weeds and grasses directly in it.

Godcomplex

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
Godcomplex said:
Laura said:
how about dirt?

I'm not sure why people think their pets come from sterile lands of no bacteria and such. If the dirt is clean without toxins it will be fine.

We cant really choose what bacteria is good for them and what bacteria can cause them disease . The best we can do is to kill them all.

Jd3

5 Year Member
Godcomplex said:
Jd3 said:
Godcomplex said:
Laura said:
how about dirt?

We cant really choose what bacteria is good for them and what bacteria can cause them disease . The best we can do is to kill them all.

The point is that unless you are running a CDC lab in your garden there isn't some super bacteria that is going to morph into turtle flu and kill them and you. It is dirt. Not a Petri dish with Ebola and SARS.

People's understanding of bacteria and germs is seriously flawed. I work as a paramedic and spend all day being forced to sterilize everything. All this does is make stronger more resistant germs. There is no bacteria to fear from a bag of dirt. There might be Bugs you don't want In the house. But if you expect to keep your tort protected from bacteria and germs you're wasting your time.

How do you put a tort outside with all of those germs and bacteria???

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Jd3 said:
Godcomplex said:
Jd3 said:
Godcomplex said:
Laura said:
how about dirt?

The point is that unless you are running a CDC lab in your garden there isn't some super bacteria that is going to morph into turtle flu and kill them and you. It is dirt. Not a Petri dish with Ebola and SARS.

People's understanding of bacteria and germs is seriously flawed. I work as a paramedic and spend all day being forced to sterilize everything. All this does is make stronger more resistant germs. There is no bacteria to fear from a bag of dirt. There might be Bugs you don't want In the house. But if you expect to keep your tort protected from bacteria and germs you're wasting your time.

I understand your concern, I too am frustrated with the overuse of antibiotics and antibacterial agents in our society and the potential overuse of these agents creating antobiotic resistent strands of harmful bacterial. However, in this case, cooking the soil is not a big deal, IMO, and cooking the soil will not harm the tortoise.

Godcomplex -
While the bacteria is probably harmless, if it makes you feel safer to cook the soil and kill everything off, I say go for it.

Godcomplex

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
Godcomplex said:
Jd3 said:
Godcomplex said:
Laura said:
how about dirt?

Just wait for their immune system to develop. Most of indoor enclosed are babies , i think its a crucial time for them not to expose to any harm , and we begin to bring in some outdoor component to let them adapt slowly. Including the germs.

Jd3

5 Year Member
The germs are more likely worse inside your home than in your yard....

Godcomplex

5 Year Member
Jd3 said:
The germs are more likely worse inside your home than in your yard....

i cant contain tortoise in 100% germs free zone, but at least its good for their hygiene . and in case if my tortoise is exposed to any germs inside my house as long as it still doing fine its okay to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.