Any suggestions (for a second tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
So I have a sulcata , and am totally in love! Today we are making a larger table for him and I was wondering... After he is old enough to stay outside permanently I want to get another species that would live in the house with some outdoor time daily. I really like the Indian and Sri Lanka stars and also the leopard tort. Which would be a relatively easy tortoise to keep?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Any suggestions

Oh my. This could turn into a knock down drag out fight! :)

Everyone has their favorites. I would try to go to a reptile show or pet shop and see these species in person for yourself. I'll bet one of them will "speak" to you. Climate is a big factor in my choice of species to work with. I have narrowed it down to about six, and I just don't consider the others anymore, even though I really like some of them.

Do you favor personality or appearance?
Is adult size and issue?
Do you want a tropical species with all their specialized heat and humidity requirements, or a temperate species that can thrive with a much simpler set up?
Is cost an issue?
Where are you?

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
Any suggestions

Honestly Tom, I'm all about personality[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. I live in northern Oklahoma and cost isn't a killer for me. I already have a lot of supplies like the fogger ,the lights, and the CHE. It'll be a couple of years down the road before I even consider another pet. I'd really rather get a Climate appropriate tortoise. I'm just wondering what I should be looking for.... You already know I'm a newbie!

Maybe I could find a reptile show to go to. I've given up on the pet shop thing, as they didn't give me the best advice about my Turbo

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

sulcatasweety said:
Honestly Tom, I'm all about personality[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]. I live in northern Oklahoma and cost isn't a killer for me. I already have a lot of supplies like the fogger ,the lights, and the CHE. It'll be a couple of years down the road before I even consider another pet. I'd really rather get a Climate appropriate tortoise. I'm just wondering what I should be looking for.... You already know I'm a newbie!

Maybe I could find a reptile show to go to. I've given up on the pet shop thing, as they didn't give me the best advice about my Turbo

A climate appropriate tortoise for Northern Oklahoma?

A Hermann's or Iberian tortoises'll do great, and won't get too large (averaging 6-7" for males, 9-10" for females). Great personality, too! :cool:

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
Any suggestions

Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually seen a few at our local pet smart ... And by local I mean I have to drive an hour! But the just didn't seem to interactive. I've gone twice in the last week and he was just sleeping both times. Maybe if I got one from a breeder instead?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Any suggestions

What's wrong with a Egyptation tort they
Are small.

Sorry about the. Spelling

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
What's wrong with a Egyptation tort they
Are small.

Sorry about the. Spelling

1 - Pretty delicate, not as easy to keep healthy
2 - Hard to get and pricey, due to rarity!
3 - Many available are from illegal sources.

OTOH, I, too, would like to get a male and a few females and try breeding them.

sulcatasweety said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I've actually seen a few at our local pet smart ... And by local I mean I have to drive an hour! But the just didn't seem to interactive. I've gone twice in the last week and he was just sleeping both times. Maybe if I got one from a breeder instead?

From PetSmart, it may well've been extremely unhealthy.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Any suggestions

Please don't let people think they are so expensive I payed 350.00 each for mine from a breeder in Texas now they are baby's and that included shipping

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

I don't find captive bred Egyptians any more difficult than many others at all. As for personality, they look at your face, not just you as a tall 'thing', they look at your face. They have a very specific routine in their enclosure. I see some people dress their tortoises up in clothes, perturb them alot with holding and hugging etc, in that sense, no they are not a suitable "pet". Price, well that is up to each person I guess.

Don't know about illegal imports. Will

Why is this in "off topic chit chat" seems very on topic to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I guess because we got so caught up in the subject matter we forgot to police the space it was occupying.

sulcatasweety

5 Year Member
Sorry guys , still kinda new and didn't know where to put it! (eek). I really appreciate your help and suggestions. I'm trying to do more research on the different species so I'm not caught blindsided again. I have a lot of free time on my hands now that my babies are at school all day. I'm an avid gardener so I would love to grow his or her food. Not really wanting to get a tort that would require live food although worm and insects (aside from spiders) do not bother me. And would like something small enough to keep inside half of the time. I know they need their sunlight and grazing time. Again thanks for your responses... Y'all are the best!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
It's okay to think ahead and get members opinions about another tort. Whatever you get, you may want to consider ease and size. Stars are small enough, but pricey and hard to care for as hatchlings. Leos are beautiful too. Redfoots are great for their personalities and can be kept inside from time to time. I personally would go for a Leo or redfoot. If money is no problem, then star is great. Remember, though, you have young kids and your life is going to get more hectic, not easier. It's probably a good thing that you're just thinking about this...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

Will said:
I don't find captive bred Egyptians any more difficult than many others at all. As for personality, they look at your face, not just you as a tall 'thing', they look at your face. They have a very specific routine in their enclosure. I see some people dress their tortoises up in clothes, perturb them alot with holding and hugging etc, in that sense, no they are not a suitable "pet". Price, well that is up to each person I guess.

Don't know about illegal imports. Will

Why is this in "off topic chit chat" seems very on topic to me.

Considerable difference in climate between Egypt, where the tortoises originate, and Northern Oklahoma...quite a bit of the year, it would be cruel/unsafe to keep an Egyptian outside in Northern Oklahoma.

Thus, my suggestion for a hardier species, more suited for the environment it's to live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.