Any opinions on age

Hector108

Okay so as most of you may know Jannet, my Gopherus Berlandieri (Texas Tortoise), had a previous owner that did not have a permit to house her. She lived in pretty bad conditions... Was fed fridge food, lived inside the house with no enclosure, got her shell painted by little girls, and God knows what else. So today i started to wonder how old is she? Occording to the guy he had her for like a year or almost a year. I have had her for like half a year. She weights almost 500 grams. From gular to tail she is 4 1/2 inches long and almost 4 inches wide. Average size for this species is 7- 8 1/2 inches long. I actually have have a sketch drawing of how she would look like adult i did it 7 inches long and 6 wide.

Before me and the guy, i dont know how she was kept i just know she is captive bred and raised.

I would go to a vet for them to tell me but i dont wanna waste money when some of you awesome members could give me an estimate! :p

I will post some pics let me just go and take them :)

Picbush

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
From what I have read you really need a hatch date. Is that paint permanant?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
If you want an educated guess - 5 years old. It is virtually impossible to know for sure but from the berlandieri I've raise from hatchling and the growth patterns I see I would guess five.

Tortique

Any age is fine, it's just how you take care of your tortoise that matters. Like I'm 11 years old and I had my tortoise for 5 months, he is healthy and I always take him outside for a walk. He seems pretty happy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have one left from a clutch hatched 4 years ago, then turned in to me at the rescue, and it's slightly smaller than 'Old Paint', so I'd say Mark's guess is pretty close to the mark.