Antibiotics

froggyraine

Has anyone had any experience with antibiotics and tortoises ? Can they make your tort tired ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They can slow down or stop the digestion process. One of my torts is currently on them. (Fortaz)
I can't say if they've made her tired because she's already inactive

froggyraine

Henry wasn't really active but he can now fall asleep whilst eating etc he finishes them tomorrow so time will tell he's been put on baytril

froggyraine

Hi guys I'm a little worried since my tort Henry had a soft plastron he had a Baytril injection, and I've been giving him 0.3 of Baytril daily like the vet has told me. This is to make sure he had no secondary infection. I've completely changed his set up but he's very lethargic and not eating as much as he used to, is this the Baytril ? He had one more dose tomorrow then he's done but I'm considering not giving him it. Any advice HELP ?!?

froggyraine

He had one injection then he's been on 0.3 of Baytril daily before his bath but I'm going to stop giving him it I don't like him not eating

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
should be every other day, see if you can get it compounded to the correct dosage and continue orally. Strawberry or some fruit flavor works best with red dye added for color. They prefer anything that is red.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you've been prescribed antibiotics, don't stop until the dosing is over. You need to kill the bacteria. If you stop dosing prematurely, the bacteria may build an immunity and be much more difficult to destroy later.
I have a tortoise that at one point had not eaten a single bite of food for over three months and lived.
Please trust me when I tell you that if a tortoise doesn't eat for a few days or even a few weeks, it can still be fine. Make sure that it drinks and stays hydrated, though.
After the antibiotics are through, the tortoise will come around again. You'll see.

froggyraine

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1438249507.036823.jpg he's had his last dosage today thank god he's alert today and he's getting bathed everyday so he's getting plenty of water . Thanks for advice

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It will take another little while for the beneficial bacteria in his gut to re establish. Then, as good as new!
(He actually looks pretty good in that photo, I must admit)

froggyraine

Thank you I think he's also been sulking haha cus I have to open his mouth to give the Baytril and he hates it

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Antibiotics are seriously hard on the kidneys of a tortoise...yes, food interest can drop or stop entirely...please make certain to offer a couple of long warm water soaks each day and for a couple weeks after treatment stops...I personally would also offer wet type foods during treatment..like romaine and squash to also help keep em juicied up inside as much as possible while treating as well as a couple weeks after..also be sure to not let enclosure temps drop below 80 while the tortoise is fighting off an ailment...the warmer temp helps bump up their immune system..