Another Dog Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Karen1991 said:
My dog jumps up on the couch when shelly goes near her. Think she is scared of her.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392584296.502213.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1392584325.990071.jpg
Before & after £500+ vet bills later and very grateful my lil dude has made it

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I took this little lady in a couple days ago. She was hibernating in a cardboard box in the garage, and woke up while the keeper was away at work. She made her way out of the box and out of the garage to where the dogs were. The Russian pen has hot wire around it and it has safely deterred the dogs from the pen for over 5 years. The dog that found the tortoise was a border collie.

Rescue43-10-14_zps5ff30986.jpg

The little smudge of yellow that you see on the right side of the front of the platron is fat cells, which means there is an opening into the body cavity.

Rescue43-10-14b_zpsc8b3be65.jpg

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I took this little lady in a couple days ago. She was hibernating in a cardboard box in the garage, and woke up while the keeper was away at work. She made her way out of the box and out of the garage to where the dogs were. The Russian pen has hot wire around it and it has safely deterred the dogs from the pen for over 5 years. The dog that found the tortoise was a border collie.

Rescue43-10-14_zps5ff30986.jpg

The little smudge of yellow that you see on the right side of the front of the platron is fat cells, which means there is an opening into the body cavity.

Rescue43-10-14b_zpsc8b3be65.jpg

Same sort of injury as Stanley then, you could see his body cavity and section on plastron would move when he breathed, that's what his resin was for to hold his body in and to help it heal, which thankfully it has and his plastron is now hard, he will always have deformed shell but hey that makes him special :D hope your tort is as lucky as Stanley :)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
When I was a child we had a lab named Bratt. Bratt was a hunting dog but had a bit of a hard mouth. My dad trained her to soften up after she destroyed a prize goose that he would have mounted had she not chewed it up during retrieval. We began using Bratt for dove hunting one year to help with her training. One day she went off the retreive and disappeared. Dad was pretty mad. She came back after a few minutes witout the dove, but had a box turtle in her mouth. We were terrified she had killed it with her hard mouth, but apparently, she had received the training well as there was not a mark on the turtle. Bratt retrieved dozens of box turtles in her career as a labrador dove retriever and not a single one was ever harmed more than the stress of being captured by a big dog, lol. Every turtle was brought home and evaluated before bing returned to their field. My uncle also had a dachsund that would hunt in the garden and bring him baby box turtles. He found 5 or 6 of the 19 we found a few years ago. He also never harmed a single one (of course, he very well could have eaten some and brought the others to my uncle thinking to save them for a latter snack). My two mini snausers are terrified of my baby sulcatas and leopards. They actually whine when they see them. Having said all of that, I would sooner put my hand in the garbage disposal and turn it on than leave my babies alone with my dogs. A scared dog will only run so many times before it will attack. A curious dog will chew a poor tort to death quickly. I have seen these cute little dogs chew large bones to nothing in minutes and can not imagine one of my babies going through that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Prognosis is good. She ate a big meal yesterday - first day in a new place, being chewed by a dog, indoors instead of outside - so I'd say she's probably going to make it.

noah19

This story really makes me sad. But your experience will be a great guide for us. Thanks for sharing it...

MsBijou

5 Year Member
I did not read this thread, did not read the "gory details" of the OP but I do want to say THANK YOU for posting this! I had my tort on the floor in a cement pan but 5 minutes after I read this I got his pan up on the table!!

I have a 6lb Poodle and a 4lb Chihuahua and did not even THINK about them bothering the tort. I've been so concerned with heat/light/food/substrate, etc. that protecting the poor guy from my dogs literally slipped my mind :(. He's safe now though. I wouldn't put it past my Chihuahua to mess with him, Poodle either. Any dog should be considered untrustworthy to be left unattended. Better safe than sorry!!

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
My best friend has a group of russians. One male, three females. He and I have similar backgrounds and interest in reptiles. We experienced the big boom of reptile popularity together in the early 90's. We have a habit of swapping reptiles back and forth. We had a water monitor that we shared and a pair of dog tame amethystine pythons, recently some bearded dragons and a couple of snakes had an extended visit with me... you get the idea. Well he got married and had kids before I did and when his first son was a few years old, "Uncle Tom", bought him a hatchling russian at a reptile show that we all attended together. His son named the tortoise Horace. That was around 8 years ago. As Horace grew and thrived, my friend added a young CB female. As Horace reached maturity he predictably got aggressive with his female and so my buddy added a couple more females to make a nice group. He built a large outdoor pen and his tortoises have done very well living outdoors for him in the warm dry CA air. Recently he bought a new house with a huge backyard and moved his adult tortoise group into a large new outdoor pen with lots of nooks and crannies and hidey holes. Horace, and his hopefully upcoming offspring, were intended to be in our family for many generations...

My friend's wife's Uncle Joe (not his real name) has been having some health issues and has not been able to get out with his dog as often as he'd like. He asked if he could turn his dog loose in the big backyard for some exercise. The dog was a medium sized mutt, very well trained, well behaved, great with the kids, great with all people, and he had been to the house many times before. The dog never showed any interest in the tortoises or their pen way over on the far side of the yard and was not "critter crazy", in any way. The uncle is a good man. I know him and his family well. He understood about the tortoises, knew about them and agreed that the dog would never be left unsupervised in the backyard and that he would remain with the dog at all times. He had been over with the dog several times without incident. The dog NEVER showed any interest whatsoever in the tortoises or their pen. All went well on the current visit and uncle Joe sat in the backyard with his dog while it exercised and played. The time came to leave and Uncle Joe stepped into the house to say his goodbyes. Goodbye turned into a conversation and conversation turned into a discussion. We've all done this, I'm sure. Mind you, all of the people involved are intelligent, thoughtful, decent people. We are not talking about apethetic people who don't know any better, or don't care.

My buddy came home from work, greeted the family, and went to his room to change out of his work clothes. Outside the bedroom window he could see uncle Joe's dog chewing on something. Never even thinking of the tortoises, he went outside to see what the dog had found... To his shock and horror the dog was gnawing on, and removing pieces from one of the adult female russians. She was still alive while the dog worked on her, but she was too far gone to be saved. To his further shock and horror, Horace was in many pieces just a few feet away. Horace and his female are dead. Gone forever. They will not be bringing joy to our families any longer. This tortoise was to grow up with my nephew and still be his companion when they were both old men. Just a few minutes of inattention is all it took. Done. I am shocked, horrified, angry, sad, and rapidly approaching numb from thinking about it.

This is not about temperament or training. It is simply a dog's natural instincts. Any dog, any breed, any time, any level of training. I am a professional dog trainer. My dogs are the best trained dogs in the entire country and I have the National trophies to prove it. I allow my dogs around all of my tortoises of all species and sizes frequently, but NEVER, unsupervised. Please believe me when I say:

DOGS AND TORTOISES SHOULD NEVER NEVER NEVER BE LEFT ALONE TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not for a minute, not for one second. Not while you go to the bathroom. Not while you quickly answer the phone. Not while you check on the kids. Not while you bid farewell to beloved family members for the evening... Everyone makes mistakes, but some things should just NOT be left to chance.

This one hit very close to home with me, but I have seen it many times. Blood on the dog and adults hands, tears on the children's faces... Spread the word people. Don't let this happen!
OMG!!! That is soooooo scary! So horrific!!!! I am very careful about keeping the dogs away from Tank (I have 2 German Shepherds). He's roaming the back yard as I type this, the dogs are locked out front. I need to hurry up and finish his proper pen! You just gave me more motivation.
I'm so sorry for you, your friend and the boy. :(

M

Maggie Cummings

OMG!!! That is soooooo scary! So horrific!!!! I am very careful about keeping the dogs away from Tank (I have 2 German Shepherds). He's roaming the back yard as I type this, the dogs are locked out front. I need to hurry up and finish his proper pen! You just gave me more motivation.
I'm so sorry for you, your friend and the boy. :(
I warned you that story would get to you. I still get teary-eyed when I read it. So you now understand why I cannot stress enough how serious it is between dogs and tortoises. On the other side, a tort like Bob or Tank can break bones in a smaller fragile dog. I read about a large Sulcata cornering a lab and breaking it's leg. So torts can also be dangerous to dogs...

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I warned you that story would get to you. I still get teary-eyed when I read it. So you now understand why I cannot stress enough how serious it is between dogs and tortoises. On the other side, a tort like Bob or Tank can break bones in a smaller fragile dog. I read about a large Sulcata cornering a lab and breaking it's leg. So torts can also be dangerous to dogs...
Oh yes. That's a horrible story! I've thought about things going the other way around too. Tank found our sweet potato patch and dug them up. I saw him snap a huge sweet potato into bits with seemingly no effort what so ever in seconds! Those fresh sweet potatoes are hard to cut with a knife! I watch my fingers for sure!
The dogs are only around him while supervised. And the babies? No no no no where near the dogs.....

Kitkat1989

Aww this is so sad. I have 2 chihuahuas one of which loves to watch my tortoise wandering around, I would NEVER leave them alone and to be fair I usually lock the dog out of the way incase he does happen to try and pick it up. I'd never forgive myself if anything like this happened due to my negligence

corvettejrw

This is good info. I am new to tortoising. I have a small Shih-tzu and he completely leaves my tortoise alone, so Im not worried about him. But there are other dogs that come over sometimes and I need to keep watch!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This is good info. I am new to tortoising. I have a small Shih-tzu and he completely leaves my tortoise alone, so Im not worried about him. But there are other dogs that come over sometimes and I need to keep watch!

Sorry, but I think you missed the point. Your dog is exactly like the dog in the story. he showed no interest in the tortoises. He was the nicest dog; he would never go after the torts. Your dog is no different. You need to acknowledge that your dog can and will go after your tort given the opportunity. You need to treat your dog as you would visiting dogs!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sibi is right. You know what every person standing at the vets office with a chewed up tortoise says? Something along the lines of... "I don't understand. They got along fine for _______ years. I'm shocked."

Think about how many tortoises get chewed up by dogs. Its a lot. What percentage of those people do you think expected their dog to chew up their tortoise? I'll bet it is close to 0%. If they thought there could ever be a problem they never would have left the tortoise and dog together.

To be as direct as possible: Please do not leave your dog unsupervised with your tortoise EVER. Not even for one second. Its when you leave the area to use the rest room or answer the phone that it happens. Just lock up one or the other if you have to step away.

tmh

5 Year Member
turah, montana
So sorry for your nephew. Had an old eastern since I was 10 yrs old. All my sons grew up with her. Had 36 years. One day the little neighber girl wanted to show her company. GR was killed by thier dog. Hard to to except.

Status
Not open for further replies.