Another shell rot question...

thedizzyshake

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, CA
Russsian tortoise.
10-13 years
Female

I think this white spot is new. Shell rot?
What do you guys think?
I made an appt for tomorrow at the vet, just any case.

Daisy

shell rot.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome~

Boy, I don't know. Hard to tell from the picture, but it doesn't look like shell rot to me. It looks like bone. I'd have to see it in person, so it's a good thing you're going to the vet with him.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Could you get a better close up picture, like really zooming on this area? What does it feel like? Is it dry? Soft? Crumbly, flaky? Or hard? Glossy? I've seen pics of RT's labeled as "shell rot" that looked similar but those had some serious comorbid conditions so that was a lot more complex than simple as "fungal infection" where we treat with with athlete's foot cream. Those animals had been severely malnourished, vitamin&nutrients deficient. Is yours otherwise healthy? With optimal environment and great diverse diet?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I does look like the keratin layer (scute) has been chipped off. You can see the underlying bone and bone seams.

Is there something where the tortoise normally sleeps/hides that has a hard sharper edge that hits that part of the plastron. It doesn't look worn, but chipped as the edges of the damaged scutes are jagged.