Another obsevation of Butt wiggling and why?

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern CA
This is so crazy!
My Sherman just did this for the first time the other day! He walked up to me when I was filling his water and watering his grass and I ran the water on his shell. He spent 15 minutes wiggling and shaking under the water. Even when he walked off to get a bite to eat he came back and put himself under the flow. I couldn't help but laugh. If he didn't have such a flat bottom he would have fallen over he was wiggling so hard.
It's interesting that others do this and their parents don't know what to make of it either ;) lol!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
My male will wiggle most of the time when I scratch his backside. I figured it was just itchy from growth or weather conditions and he liked it. Who doesn't like a nice backrub? Strangely, neither of my females seem to like scratches as much.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
I hear people say it's their way of throwing another turtle/tortoise off of them because either they are male or she is not receptive to his advances. I've heard other people say they think a predator is attacking/grabbing/whatever and is their way of trying to wiggle out of the predator's grasp. As some of you have said, they may have an itch, or find pleasure in having something rub against their butt. Personally, I think it could be all of the above. It could just be dependent on the situation. Like, I doubt a turtle/tortoise putting themselves under a hose turned on and doing the jitter bug is thinking it's a horny dude or a giant eagle.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My male redfoot does it when he is wandering about in my living room and he backs up into the couch and wiggles.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
I have a few males that love butt scratchies...my one biggest male Herman Munster LOVES IT. When I go out in the morning and sit, he comes over to me and sits on my foot until I give him his daily butt scratch lol. It must feel good or something. Its adorable...