Another Dog Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

the567spud

5 Year Member
Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

Yes! I have heard that you can mix dogs and tortoises. Don't though because they are so variable and aggressive, to tortoises when angry.

Edward. B

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

the567spud said:
Yes! I have heard that you can mix dogs and tortoises. Don't though because they are so variable and aggressive, to tortoises when angry.

Edward. B

Not sure what you mean by Yes! This thread is about you Can Not mix tortoises and dogs. Anyone that says you can will soon have a mauled of dead tortoise.

jessica_rose

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America

this is so sad to hear! i have the same thing tort and dog only the dog is in love with the tort and will walk with it in the yard lay and sleep by it lick it and watch it for hours. if anyone gets to close to my tort while it is in the yard the dog will immediately protect it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

jessica_rose said:
this is so sad to hear! i have the same thing tort and dog only the dog is in love with the tort and will walk with it in the yard lay and sleep by it lick it and watch it for hours. if anyone gets to close to my tort while it is in the yard the dog will immediately protect it.

Many dogs are protective of their toys and food sources.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

jessica_rose said:

I know it would be great to think that your dog and tort are best friends. They are not. Please learn from those that have learned the hard way. Do not let your dog near your tort, at least not without 100% supervision, meaning, not for a second do you let your attention wonder. It only takes a second for your tort to be injured. Not only do some dogs protect their food or toys as Tom said. Some dogs also hoard their treats/food/toys to lick and play with, until they are ready to eat it, chew it or toss it in the air.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

This happened to me yesterday!! My dog grabbed my boxie and tried to burry him!! Thank goodness he was ok but there can not be a next time!! My dog was very sneaky about it too!
My sweet boxie is very lucky to be alive.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

I'd like to express condolences to all involved. I'm sure the dog owner was in a terrible state as well.
I have kept mixed species all my life. I learned as a very young child, when our dog got hold of a beloved budgie. I also had a friend whose greyhound attacked another friend's dbl yellow head parrot, who eventually died of the injuries. They all just kind of "didn't think" when the visitor was turned loose in a house where the bird was playing loose in another room. You can't be careful enough. Human error is most often the cause, as in this terrible story. Ppl forget, or get sidetracked.
I have a mix of dogs, cats, horses, chickens, and now the torts. All of my tort enclosures are covered. My dogs are VERY curious. They would obey and know the command "leave it" but if I were not there to give the leave it command, all bets are off. I wouldnt even take a chance with my 15 year old who hardly has any teeth!

Once we make our move to FL, I am going to put up 6' walk in kennels for the torts. These will also be covered.

Ann from CT

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas

Oh my gosh. Tears streaming, not only is this heartbreaking but I feel so much for you Tom, the children (we have five) the uncle, the mom and dad (trying to explain it all) and just everyone involved. We have five dogs, chickens, cats, ferret, birds and the like. Everyone always comments on how well they all get along. Not only do we have them trained, but in all honesty we don't leave them alone - not even for one second! That is all it takes. We have many natural predators that will be living in our back yard (our chickens, dogs, cats and any stray that might happen to get in. They have never yet, but I am trying to be prepared) and I want our wee baby Sulcata SAFE. I have planned an outdoor kiddie pool set up right outside the French doors where I work (I work from home.) It will be covered and if I have to leave, the wee one will come inside to his/her secure location. I will be damn sure to keep this story in mind the entire time we have this baby. It just breaks my heart. I am so sorry for your loss and I grieve for these poor kids.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

DawnH said:
Oh my gosh. Tears streaming, not only is this heartbreaking but I feel so much for you Tom, the children (we have five) the uncle, the mom and dad (trying to explain it all) and just everyone involved. We have five dogs, chickens, cats, ferret, birds and the like. Everyone always comments on how well they all get along. Not only do we have them trained, but in all honesty we don't leave them alone - not even for one second! That is all it takes. We have many natural predators that will be living in our back yard (our chickens, dogs, cats and any stray that might happen to get in. They have never yet, but I am trying to be prepared) and I want our wee baby Sulcata SAFE. I have planned an outdoor kiddie pool set up right outside the French doors where I work (I work from home.) It will be covered and if I have to leave, the wee one will come inside to his/her secure location. I will be damn sure to keep this story in mind the entire time we have this baby. It just breaks my heart. I am so sorry for your loss and I grieve for these poor kids.

Thank you. Mission accomplished.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member

That's why I couldn't keep my tortoise outside.. Dogs run around everywhere. Dogs that aren't even ours.

ShellyTurtlesCats

5 Year Member
Mesa
Re: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

Very sad.

This goes for dogs and any animal/human that is defenseless.

Not too long ago, a police officers trained dog attacked their newborn baby and killed it in just seconds. This dog was trained and worked with police! :(

Tortoise7

5 Year Member
Ohio

Thank you for this eye opening post. I, myself have dogs, but would NEVER let one come in contact with any animal of a different species. Not a cat, not a bird (we have a bird too), not a fish (yep got that covered), not a snake (guilty as charged...;)), not even a mouse. Dogs are great in their own right, but shouldn't be trusted (well my dogs anyway, crazy #1 and crazy #2 LOL)

buddysmate

5 Year Member

Sorry for your loss. I would be heartbroken if it happened to our Buddy.

It highlights to us about paying more attention to tortoise proofing our garden as we have a very large unruly dog next door, and though we do not leave Buddy unsupervised your story shows it only takes a moment for something like that to happen.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida

I am so sorry to hear such as this. You are absolutely right- it should never be risked, for this very reason.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland

The only dog we had in our vicinity was the neighbour's dog. I kind of feel bad in saying that I am glad she died before we got Peter (but she was really old already), but she'd always escape and enter our yard, poop in it, bury things in it etc. Whenever we brought her back the neighbours were really rude and they refused to cover the part of the fence where she escaped. They just stood there watching.

I adore dogs, but that particular dog just made me want to scream.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

Years ago as a child, we had a little Lhassa hapso (spelling?). One day we were looking at her, so cute playing with her stuffed teddy, until we realized it wasn't a teddy but our bunny rabbit! The rabbit died. It hadn't occurred to anyone to worry about that little fluffy dog. Just goes to show that you really never know.
Sincere condolences to everyone to whom those tragedies have touched.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX

I don't keep dogs because of this, even though my family owned one when I was a wee little one. Once I got my first red eared slider, though, I wasn't interested in any warm blooded creatures, except cats, given what good mousers they are. And I also once had a neighbor whose dog would dig under the fence and into my yard, and the one time she did it, that damned dog chewed off the back of Graeculus' (my oldest pet Greek tortoise) carapace. I was incredibly lucky she didn't kill him. Vet fiberglassed the whole backside of Graeculus' shell, though it never healed to the original pattern and remains scarred. I solved the dog problem with two lines of cinder blocks and some railroad ties, held into place by rebar and sand, all braced against the fence on my side. That dog stayed on her side of the fence until her owners moved out. I felt bad for the dog, ultimately. Her owners never paid her any attention. She was so damned bored she would uproot any new shrubs or small trees they planted in the backyard. Some people just shouldn't have dogs. But yeah, I don't need a dog. I have enough dogs to worry about with all the unsupervised ones running amok.

T.G.

reatrocity

5 Year Member
West Virginia, United States

I'm so sorry. :( Planning to get a lil' Hermann's tortoise. I have a loving Boston Terrier as well. Even as someone who never has owned a tortoise, I would never consider my Boston even getting close to one. Regardless, this is food for thought as I continue researching for my new Hermann. Again, I'm sorry.

barb121375

5 Year Member

Very sad, sorry for your loss.
I wonder what it is that makes dogs want to attack tortoises? I am very new to being a tortoise mom (two weeks tomorrow) I have a 14 year old Yorkie (Baily) who weighs about 5 pounds and is going blind and deaf. She has been around other animals of all varieties, her WHOLE life. I have never seen he so much as squeak at another animal. Yet she pays a lot of attention to Norman and has even lifted a front paw in a hunting pose. Norman is never left unsupervised and we keep Bailey away from him at all times. But it still facinates my that my little old dog that has never shown an ounce of aggression can behave so differently around Norm! Being as old as she is, Baily doesn't have much time left and we don't have plans to get another dog in the future.

TortoiseJimmy

5 Year Member

Very sorry about your loss. :(
I have a tortoise and he roams in my 600 square meter garden and he has lived there for about 7 years. On the other hand, I have a adult golden retriever (they share the garden land) which ive had for about 6 years so the Bradley (tortoise) came first and they have always gotten along well. I guess this proves your theory about dogs and tortoises wrong but still. Bradley and Louie (my dog) probably have a 1 in a million friendship.
Anyways, My condolences for your loss.
Bye. :tort: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.