Another Dog Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
RE: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises and dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

Tom, I'm so sorry, this just breaks my heart!

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
RE: Another Dog Story

Katherine said:
What a tragedy. So sorry to read this. Hopefully having shared this story will spare someone else from making the same mistake.

I live in Fl. and keep Mt. tortoises in huge naturalistic outside enclosures from 3000sf. to 9000sf per pair. Having a dog with tortoises can be the worst or BEST thing you ever do for your tortoises. Ive had several dogs that pertected my tortoises, not kill or hurt them. The dogs all lived with torts safely until the dogs died of old age. My current dog is a bloodhound. I got her at the dog pound. They have a fenced area for people to get to know the dog. I took a Mt.Tortoise with me and had someone put it in the play area. We let in the "could be bad/good" pound dog and start to play with the dog. It findly find the tort. and in my case took one little lick then payed no attention to it. I've done this several times when going to someones house that has a dog for sale and sellers dont mind. Of cource after you bring it home its training training training and watching the dog out a window until you have full trust. Molly the 90lb. bloodhound has killed a huge male Raccoon and keeps people and animals out with that Bloodhound bloodcurrdeling dark. We walk the fence and she markes her terratory. She finds them for me in the tall bush in Summer. Another good dog I had was a Golden Retreiver, Hunter ,he was a good one too. So, never say never,they can be powerfull protecters if your smart about the one you choose. Vic M4gb sim card 044.jpgorgan

Last edited by a moderator:

x-sully-x

5 Year Member

So sorry that this has happened :( Just shows how careful you need to be no matter how much trust you have in your dog.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada

Oh No.
So sorry such a tragic story Tom
Thanks for taking time to write about this to help prevent further accidents.

It must have been very difficult for you to re-live this through writing about it for us in this forum.
Thank You and accept my sympathies.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah

Tom this is so terrible!! Poor babies!!

dandj425

5 Year Member

My own story- mixed mutt who is so good and never minded the RES(red eared slider) we let wander our indoor floors sometimes. Then one summer day the RES was outside in her swimming pool sunning, done most summer days. I was at the fence/property line 20 ft away back turned. I didn't know the dog was also in the fenced in back yard. But I turned back and the dog had my RES in her mouth. It stills brings tears to talk of this 2 1/2 yrs later. Well, in those few minutes I talked to the neighbor the dog had my RES chewed but still still alive. I rushed her to the emergency vet since of course it was sunday, they weren't too aware of turtle care(UGH) but they immediately researched and we set up and emergency care plan. A sick dry tank was setup and antibiotic shots were ordered. Silver sufidine cream applied properly and limited water(my RES loves swimming) to feed as she can't eat out of water. Two months of hands on constant care!!! And nights with her even sleeping in small tank next to me as I watched her those first few days after. I have never felt so bad or guilty in my life. And I have 4 kids! Good news is she pulled through well, shell damage will always be there as a reminder of my folly. And my mutt is still here as she is the kids dog and I can't really blame the dog. My fault. Hard lesson learned. We never ever let the dog unsupervised or the turts in a way of free roam. Chicken wire helps outside inclosure but still can't rely on that. Please please never let dog near. I would have sworn before that my dog had no interest. Both animals are happy today but the scars will remain.

Reactions: Sab

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your loss. I know how it is to lose a beloved animal, coincidently in 2010 my dog, Lucy, and western hermann tortoise, Cocoa, both died. But Lucy and Cocoa were great friends, Cocoa used to roam the yard and Lucy would sniff her out of her hiding spot and then Cocoa would sleep next to Lucy on the grass. When Lucy died of cancer Cocoa was never the same, she never showed happiness when we rubbed her or never ate as much. One day Cocoa died for unknown reasons, to this day I still don't know why. My only thought would be depression. I read that sometimes tortoises kill themselves when their companion dies. Im still not sure and I was hoping maybe one of you guys know?
-Thanks, Ben

tortoise_man1

5 Year Member
Michigan
RE: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

I am sorry about your loss so sad :(

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona

So sorry for everyone involved and their losses. :( You are very right in that dogs and torts do not mix. I also like to say that cats and torts don't mix well either. When I let my tort out all the other creatures are locked up AND I don't take my eyes off of the tort when he is out.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK

This actually has just made me cry :'( why do people chance it? Its so unfair on the tortoise :(

Nikolai13

5 Year Member
Ohio

This almost made me and Nikolai cry... :(

Turtle freak101

5 Year Member

Oh my gosh! :( That is so sad! You guys are so right! My dog, well trained as he is, would attack a tort if left alone. :( RIP your 3 lost torts. :tort::tort::tort:

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida

Oh my... I will NEVER let my dogs near daisy

Thank you, though... Youve probably just saved me from this mistake

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA

We just had another disaster this week on the forum. Someone's dog got a hold of her RT, and while the damage was not life-threatening, the tort's shell was damaged a little. Unfortunately, we will hear and read about many of these encounters. I think I'm gonna make a point of welcoming new ones with a warning about dogs.

isay

5 Year Member

oh...i felt bad about this...hmmm you know a dog can also eat a frog

kmarkovich

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI

How awful :( My Sulcata is bigger than my small dog and too intimidating for my "big" dog. Though they are never alone together, they always mind their own when in the yard. These things happen all the time. I, too, work in vet ER-land and see mostly cats getting their behinds handed to them by family pets but it just goes to show that mixing species can have horrible outcomes. My dogs and my cats get along famously but I still kennel my dogs when I am not home just in case.

I am so sorry for the loss of your friends tort's. That is just plain awful.

Blessed3x

5 Year Member

This post so rings true to those who think their dogs are well trained and won't, or whose dogs never shown interest
before or who has a spouse in the yard and you think they are keeping an eye on things, DON'T
We recently had this happen with our Russian girl, Madeline, one of our senior dogs decided to go into it's enclosure and
pick it up and take it out. My husband was clueless as to what was going on even though he was sitting only 30 ft away.
Luckily my granddaughter who was also outside was attentive and immediately retrieved poor Madeline from Munich
and came and got me immediately. Hubby is working on fencing off the tort area from the dog area and we're now adding tops to all enclosures.
Since they are not left outside at night we didn't have tops. Thank goodness Madeline was ok and my granddaughter was quick thinking and
quick acting.

Klebbie

5 Year Member

I am so sorry for your loss, I was so moved that you were able to share this story so we all could learn from it before the same type of sorrow happened to some one else. Thank you and again I am sorry for your loss.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Re: Another Dog Story (Why tortoises & dogs DO NOT MIX. No exceptions!)

Wow this is horrible i have 3 dogs but never had a problem even when im not around also i have chickens they all share the same area. But u never know... How old is the dog?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

SarahBish

5 Year Member

Hi I just wanted to say I couldn't agree more I've had a recently bad experience with my breeding female tortoise. My dog attacked her not once but twice she actually broke through a greenhouse to get to her she survived the attacks but unfortunately had to make a very hard decision and put her to sleep as she developed septicaemia and I just knew she wasn't right! So as much as you Love your Dog Never Ever Leave Your Dog alone with your tortoises I cannot stress enough how important this is ! So many people have said to me oh my dog wouldn't touch the tortoise! Well trust me I'd post the pics of my poor girl if I thought it would make a difference ! You can't blame the dog it's there natural instincts its us owners that are too blame so please please please Keep your Shell kids safe from your fur kids .

Status
Not open for further replies.