Another Dog Story...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, arizona
Don't you let my future tortoise get chewed on!!! :p

no need to worry. Mary said last night Trixie needed to go outside, but when Mary opened the patio door, RV was front and center, blocking the path. RV was sleeping, but the dog took one look, said "no way" and ran in the opposite direction. I told Mary to take Trixie through the garage, through the gate of the boat area, and through the gate to the back yard..... Since RV was all tucked in, Mary was able to scoot her far enough from the door that Trixie could vault over her. No worries Tom. Your future tort is safe from the dog, and behind 3 gates and high cinder block fence.

We'll keep her safe

t

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Last week we had a cat taking a tortoises eye out.
Yesterday, a cat took the top of a tortoise's enclosure and mauled it, drawing blood and damaging the shell.
So be careful folks, it's not just dogs that are dangerous.

Lyles

Last week we had a cat taking a tortoises eye out.
Yesterday, a cat took the top of a tortoise's enclosure and mauled it, drawing blood and damaging the shell.
So be careful folks, it's not just dogs that are dangerous.

Oh that's terrible! Stray/Feral cats are becoming a huge problem, even worse is there are people who even think that stray/feral cats are a good thing and feed them and allow them to breed unchecked. Call your local animal control and set up traps, they will sometimes supply them.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Oh that's terrible! Stray/Feral cats are becoming a huge problem, even worse is there are people who even think that stray/feral cats are a good thing and feed them and allow them to breed unchecked. Call your local animal control and set up traps, they will sometimes supply them.
Sorry, I wasn't clear here. I meant two separate members of Tortoise Forum.
No cat is ever allowed in my house, or near the tort enclosures outside.
And they were pet cats in the houses.

James de Grasse

Orange County, SoCal
This story is very saddening. I have two dogs (beagle and a small something) and have left them alone with my 12 year old tortoise for the past 4 years. After reading this story I am a bit worried but they have all seemed like friends throughout the years. The worst I ever see the dogs do is take his watermelon. Any thoughts?

M

Maggie Cummings

This story is very saddening. I have two dogs (beagle and a small something) and have left them alone with my 12 year old tortoise for the past 4 years. After reading this story I am a bit worried but they have all seemed like friends throughout the years. The worst I ever see the dogs do is take his watermelon. Any thoughts?

Mildred was a 20 yr old desert tortoise who lived with the same family all her life. They had a dog who was also about 20. He and Mildred having lived together all those years. One day the keeper came home and Mildred was missing her left front leg. The dog had evidently buried it or ate it as it was never found. He had also licked the wound until it stopped bleeding. This is a family pet of 20 years! So they gave up the tortoise and kept the dog. I got the tortoise, a dignified beautiful desert tortoise. Those are my thoughts, make of them what you will. I personally would never allow any dog around my tortoises. Now I have a kitten who's worse than any dog....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are too many stories about tortoises being chewed by dogs. Why would you want to take the chance? Once it's happened it too late. Tom, is a dog/animal trainer. Not just sit and come, but for TV. Even he would not let his very well trained dog, that you have probably seen on commercials, be alone with his tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Here are my thoughts:

Every day that those dogs have unsupervised access to that tortoise, you are willfully and knowingly risking that tortoises life. Why? Why take that chance? It is physically possible that they won't ever hurt the tortoise, but thousands upon thousands of turtles and tortoises get chewed up and mauled by calm, friendly, well-trained, loving family pets. Very few people who stand there with a bloody chewed tortoise in their hands ever thought that their dog would do such a thing. Most thought it would never happen. They all say the same things. "They were friends..." "The dog never even looked at the tortoise..." "Fluffy has never wanted anything to do with the tortoise...".

The dogs and tortoise should each have their own separate areas with no access to each others area.

MNM

That story is soooo sad... :( It literally almost made me cry! So sorry to hear that! :(...

James de Grasse

Orange County, SoCal
Here are my thoughts:

Every day that those dogs have unsupervised access to that tortoise, you are willfully and knowingly risking that tortoises life. Why? Why take that chance? It is physically possible that they won't ever hurt the tortoise, but thousands upon thousands of turtles and tortoises get chewed up and mauled by calm, friendly, well-trained, loving family pets. Very few people who stand there with a bloody chewed tortoise in their hands ever thought that their dog would do such a thing. Most thought it would never happen. They all say the same things. "They were friends..." "The dog never even looked at the tortoise..." "Fluffy has never wanted anything to do with the tortoise...".

The dogs and tortoise should each have their own separate areas with no access to each others area.

Thank you for your input. I can't take my backyard away form my tortoise because it is HIS. He roams like a wild one and taking that from him would be a disservice.

Sheldon.B

5 Year Member
Ireland
Just read about your story, I am so sorry for your loss, it's heart felt, and I know that you had plans for your torts growing up with your nephews. Thinking of you. MarieJ

NotReptarded

I'm so sorry for what happen that must have been a horrible experience. I hope they recover from the incident.

ILoveTorts&Gerbils

That's horrible. I'm so sorry.

I love my BT to bits, despite the fact that he killed both of my rabbits a few years ago. I was heart-broken, but I came to realise that dogs can't always control their hunting instincts.

I hope you can forgive the dog that did this, although your post gives the impression that you understand that he most likely didn't realise that he did anything wrong!

Mammyjuls

Or so sorry to hear that .
We have a very well train lab but I would never leave her alone with my tortise just like I would never leave her alone with my children ad they only young .
When I take my tortise out and let him Rome in the sitting room I lock the dog in the kitchen always best to be on the safe side

That was a torrible story and very sad

Status
Not open for further replies.