And yet Another ......Cherry Head caught nesting ....

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Well......here is the average for this gal .....She is the one who lays all the weird one's.....these look normal ....

sulcata2014

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Love the Cherry Heads and best of luck with the hatch!

I have a question for those experienced breeders out there!!!

Will the fact that a female yellow foot that has imperfect scutes make her babies highly likely to have imperfect scutes as well?

I guess what I'm asking is...Is it genetic or just something that happens during incubation?

Please cite an studies or case research if you have it!

Thanks so much and I look forward to learning all that I can from the wonderful gals and guys on the forum!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
There are many threads discussed about this .....in the Forum search box on your screen (upper right) try typing "Split Scute" and there will be a wealth of info and stories for you to investigate .
JD~:)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Love the Cherry Heads and best of luck with the hatch!

I have a question for those experienced breeders out there!!!

Will the fact that a female yellow foot that has imperfect scutes make her babies highly likely to have imperfect scutes as well?

I guess what I'm asking is...Is it genetic or just something that happens during incubation?

Please cite an studies or case research if you have it!

Thanks so much and I look forward to learning all that I can from the wonderful gals and guys on the forum!

To cover it just briefly, it depends on why she has a split scute herself. Most are caused by temperatures during incubation. A few however do seem to be genetic based. It's an area (like just about everything to do with tortoises) that needs more study.