And more Mauremys......

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
mutica, this time. These guys came out of the box exploding with personality and rarin' to go. I can already tell they're going to be a lot of fun. Not much is known about them as there isn't a demand for them here in the US. And I don't know why because their creamy yellow color and golden brown carapaces make them extremely attractive, in my eyes at least.08151.jpg 08151.jpg 08152.jpg

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
You have no idea how cool it is to hear from another keeper who appreciates a species simply for what it is--and not the monetary value.
If only more of us had your attitude....
Nice going!
My favorite turtles have never been worth anything to the 'professional breeders'.
sigh....

richosullivan

5 Year Member
Orlando
mutica, this time. These guys came out of the box exploding with personality and rarin' to go. I can already tell they're going to be a lot of fun. Not much is known about them as there isn't a demand for them here in the US. And I don't know why because their creamy yellow color and golden brown carapaces make them extremely attractive, in my eyes at least.View attachment 215627 View attachment 215627 View attachment 215628

How big do they get?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
mutica, this time. These guys came out of the box exploding with personality and rarin' to go. I can already tell they're going to be a lot of fun. Not much is known about them as there isn't a demand for them here in the US. And I don't know why because their creamy yellow color and golden brown carapaces make them extremely attractive, in my eyes at least.View attachment 215627 View attachment 215627 View attachment 215628
Gosh, they're beautiful!!! :)

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
That's a species that has always captured my interest, but I never took the plunge.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
You have no idea how cool it is to hear from another keeper who appreciates a species simply for what it is--and not the monetary value.
If only more of us had your attitude....
Nice going!
My favorite turtles have never been worth anything to the 'professional breeders'.
sigh....

Thanks! It's funny. Back in my 20's and 30's it was all about having the next biggest thing, or the most difficult to acquire animals. And then I hit my 40's and now 50 and it's been all about what pleases me. What do I truly enjoy. What I have today is what I plan on having until the end, so why not be surrounded by animals that I truly enjoy, both aesthetically and personality wise. Next up in the near future are the C. dentata, then I'll call it a day...........For a little while ;)

As far as these mutica go, they are killin' me! They are incredibly curious. They will not let me out of their sight when I'm in the room. They have to know EVERYTHING that is going on.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Thanks! It's funny. Back in my 20's and 30's it was all about having the next biggest thing, or the most difficult to acquire animals. And then I hit my 40's and now 50 and it's been all about what pleases me. What do I truly enjoy. What I have today is what I plan on having until the end, so why not be surrounded by animals that I truly enjoy, both aesthetically and personality wise. Next up in the near future are the C. dentata, then I'll call it a day...........For a little while ;)

As far as these mutica go, they are killin' me! They are incredibly curious. They will not let me out of their sight when I'm in the room. They have to know EVERYTHING that is going on.

Again, very good to hear.
You know, I never got caught up in the 'high end' hype or the flashy, 'got-to-have' species. I've been excited about pretty much the very same animals that I got to know as a kid back in the 60s and 70s. Still love mud turtles, red-foot tortoises, native box turtles and so on.
The first exotic box turtle I saw was in 1975. It was a 15 year (at that time no less) captive Chinese box turtle named Jo Jo that a good friend named Ted had maintained for all those years. Jo Jo would follow his owner all around the yard, then into the house, then down the hallways, and everywhere else Ted went! That animal imprinted on me too and so to this day Cuora flavimarginata remain high on my list of favorites.
For me if a turtle species tends to be very responsive, easy to keep and disease resistant as your mutica are then I like them. I couldn't care less that they aren't 'high end'.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I'm just over the moon right now! I have two more of these guys arriving on Tuesday, only they are the 2nd of the subspecies, mutica kami.

I wish I would of discovered these guys years ago. Their personality, intelligence and vigor are beyond contagious. They LOVE to bask, and hit the water as soon as I get close enough. But within two seconds they are fighting over the best seat in their enclosure to watch what I'm doing and follow my every move when I move throughout the room. They're already taking wrigglers from my hand and there's no doubt they're within days of taking pellets from my hand as well, and they've only been with me for 10 days. I've been involved with the aquatics since 1983, and NEVER have I had any one species grab me like this, so quickly. The only ones that come remotely close are the NA Woods and Blanding's. To each their own, and there's no doubt that these guys will be my primary going forward.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
How big do these guys get and what size tank do you have them in? :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I'm just over the moon right now! I have two more of these guys arriving on Tuesday, only they are the 2nd of the subspecies, mutica kami.

I wish I would of discovered these guys years ago. Their personality, intelligence and vigor are beyond contagious. They LOVE to bask, and hit the water as soon as I get close enough. But within two seconds they are fighting over the best seat in their enclosure to watch what I'm doing and follow my every move when I move throughout the room. They're already taking wrigglers from my hand and there's no doubt they're within days of taking pellets from my hand as well, and they've only been with me for 10 days. I've been involved with the aquatics since 1983, and NEVER have I had any one species grab me like this, so quickly. The only ones that come remotely close are the NA Woods and Blanding's. To each their own, and there's no doubt that these guys will be my primary going forward.

That's sort of like Reeve's turtles are. Total personality and a 'fun' species to keep.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
How big do these guys get and what size tank do you have them in? :)
7"-8" when fully grown. Like my current mutica, the kami's are cb '15. They will go into large Rubbermaid tubs until next year when they will move to Waterland tubs, medium. When they're big enough to not fit through a standard chain link fence, they will move to an outdoor enclosure spring thru fall. The kami's will be kept seperately from the mutica. It's hard pressed to find any valuable info on these two subspecies and I look forward to sharing my results as they grow!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
7"-8" when fully grown. Like my current mutica, the kami's are cb '15. They will go into large Rubbermaid tubs until next year when they will move to Waterland tubs, medium. When they're big enough to not fit through a standard chain link fence, they will move to an outdoor enclosure spring thru fall. The kami's will be kept seperately from the mutica. It's hard pressed to find any valuable info on these two subspecies and I look forward to sharing my results as they grow!
Great!!!! :)

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA

Wanting to buy some of these guys, but very little info out there. How are you keeping these? Any difference between hatchling and adult care?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
It would be an honor, Anthony. I'll fire you off some pics this week. I'm at the edge of my seat for this release.