Ammo Sulcata Tortoise

Orbela

Well let me introduce Ammo my wife got him/her a month ago from a friend who was leaving state up North. Well looks like we got a new pet!! Yay I learn as much as I can from this forum from day one.
1c582cf665fe4d87b769c57b6123cefc.jpg

We have set up a home for it but I'm sure there is room for improvements which I will be asking in another section.
a50c982add68d28ace76003e8752b5d4.jpg

I weigh ammo today and it weighs 68g
eb3d65e2a5c1a7826b95cd6da7e6c018.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Yes there is much improvement needed. But this forum will get you in the right direction.

Orbela

California
Yes I have those threads bookmarked on my phone also the thread of food list and weed ID so when I am hiking and see a weed I can grab it and take it with me. I seen your post your like a sulcata guru my buddy recommended me to check you out for sulcata tortoise. I am actually looking into using the tank method so the humidity stays high

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here are some constructive tips for things that I would do differently in your set up:
1. The enclosure is too small. Your tortoise needs something much bigger.
2. Its too dry. The substrate should be damp and the top should be closed in.
3. Sink your water bowl down into the substrate to make it easier for your baby to get in and out and fill it to the top with water. They have to be able to submerge their head to drink and yours looks too shallow.
4. No red bulbs. Use a CHE set on a thermostat for ambient and night heat. Use a white bulb for basking heat.
5. I can't tell what is in the other fixture…
6. Those clamps always fail. Hang your bulbs from over head. This will allow you to adjust the height to get the correct temperatures under them.

Hope these ideas help.

Orbela

I have a question about the CHE I went online to buy the CHE and I see some that go for $9.99 and I am wondering what difference is there from one made by exo terra or zoo med? Would that be a better option?