Alternative for Coiled UVB Lighting

WonderKitteh

Hi there.
Newbie here. I've introduced myself in the with the specifics of my setup: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/158861/

I realized that I have bought the wrong UVB light and that it can lead my cherry head tortoises being blind. I thank you for sharing that in the forum and I have stopped using the lights.

Living in Malaysia means that there is not a lot of choice in lighting so I'd really appreciate it if someone can share a link from Amazon or Ebay for a safe alternative to suit my enclosure. The good news is that we get plenty of sunshine :) and I could carry the whole enclosure outdoor on a partially shaded spot in the garden for a few hours in the morning when it is not raining.

This is the lighting set I've bought but stopped using.

Again, temperature is a constant 30-32°C without any heating, humidity 80 - 85 % in the enclosure.

Thank you so much in advance :)

Regards,
Nini

Attachments

• 1499082134885.jpg
    1499082134885.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 22

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
daily sunshine for an hour a day for a hatchling will do great. Just be sure there is shade as little ones can over heat easily. Then you can use a regular incandescent 60 watt bulb for the inside time and have that reach at tortoise height the proper basking temp. For proper night time heat use a ceramic heat emitter. Babies should be kept at 80F with the humidity of 80%. day and night. Be sure to keep top layer of substrate dry to prevent shell rot.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree with "wellington". As long as your tortoise gets a few hours of sunlight a week (unfiltered by glass, plastic, screen) you will not need artificial UVB. Even if you have a few weeks of cloudy weather it will be fine if it normally gets at least a few hours a week. Of course it then needs the right high calcium and proper calcium to phosphorus ratio foods as a good varied diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you still want UV indoors, then the long florescent tubes will work well. A regular 10.0 tube will light up the enclosure nicely, and also provide some UV benefit as long as you mount it within about 12". If you have to mount it higher than that, it will still light the enclosure nicely, but there will be minimal UV benefit.

WonderKitteh

Hi Wellington, Tom and Mark. Thanks for your replies. Yes, they are getting morning sun in a few spots of their enclosure in a well shaded garden. In the afternoon, my daughter moved them to our porch which is bright but with no direct sunlight. I am so happy that they are getting out of their little pot homes to explore more now that the enclosure isnt too bright. We've just brought the enclosure in for the night. I checked a few times throughout night and early morning (kind of anxious hehe). The temperature stays about 84F throughout. As for the substrate, the damp sphagnum moss is now spread into clumps in some spots in the enclosure so there are dry spots and damp ones they can choose. They prefer sleeping on the moss though. Thank you Tom for the advice on the lighting. I will buy the tubes and hang it like the ones for my planted tank for days when I can't be bringing them out.
I feel somewhat relieved that the tortoises will be getting enough UVB. And yes they are getting their food (daughter has a weekly menu planned out for them) and calcium suppplement.

WonderKitteh

Speaking of a good varied diet, I have read that redfoot tortoises get their protein from animal source. What would be a good protein source for baby cherryhead redfoots? Is it still the same as adults but in smaller portion? I would of course limit the protein intake to once a forthnight or so. If that is how you guys are doing it. Thanks again.
Nini.