ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
This time of the year we get many e-mails regarding temperatures and our methods of heating our aldabra tortoise. Thought i would make a post here as to what we do and works well for us. Florida is basically very forgiving with colder weather, we typically see warm and dry weather during the winter months. We do not allow our adults to go below 60f, anything less than one year of age no less than 70f, and anything over one year or six inches we usually go with 65f. These are usually our margins unless it is rainy or very wet. We simply bring all hatchlings and young ones inside and heat our adults with heat bulbs. Our barn is equiped with temperature gauges, fire alarms, audible and visual monitoring devices. based on our observations and countless conversations with other giant tortoise keepers we feel these margins are safe protocols.

Please feel free to ask any further questions!

IMG_2471.JPG IMG_5040.JPG IMG_2364.JPG IMG_2357.JPG IMG_3272.JPG IMG_2354 2.JPG

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
I see the lights are just hung every so many feet through out their holding area, do u just put as many lights as needed to get that whole area a current temp? And what is the temp in that area?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I see the lights are just hung every so many feet through out their holding area, do u just put as many lights as needed to get that whole area a current temp?

~ Based on the construction and material used our barn holds ambient heat extremely well. Anything above 50f our barn maintains around 70f with only two heat lamps turned on. The reason you see four lights on from last night is because Peanut laid eggs last night and we brought her in at midnight. She was cold and the extra two made it extra warm for her. I have used up to eight heat lights before when the temperature gets in the low 20's and maintained around 70f. There are many options for heat, however these heat lights have really worked for us exceptionally well and easy to add more if needed. We do break the bulbs frequently, usually two or three per year!

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Another question, you said that you bring all the little ones inside, what type of set up are they in while inside? What temps do you like maintain them at?

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
5 clutches, she a busy girl. I was shocked to see she laid them just out in the field. I would of thought she would have made a spot in some hidden area, maybe up against the fence line or a place that she would see as a light traffic area. Do they make their nest out like that most the time? Is that how they do in the wild too?

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Do they make their nest out like that most the time?

~ Yes, we notice that the majority of the time they dig a nest in an open area. My thoughts has always been because it gets plenty of sunshine exposure!

IMG_9973.JPG