ALDABRA TORTOISE BREEDER

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
Hopie continues to do well, however every once in a while he seems to get blocked up for some reason and needs a good flushing. Once the flushing is completed he goes right back to eating and defecating like normal until the next blockage occurs. We can not figure out exactly what causes this blockage and just assume it is all connected to his original issue.

IMG_4668.JPG

This time of the year we have the auto-irrigation systems set on automatic to run everyday during the peak hot times. These little ones start to come out from the bushes and seem to really enjoy the cool downs!

IMG_4597.JPG

This little six month old getting a drink in the heat of the day!

IMG_4625.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Hopie continues to do well, however every once in a while he seems to get blocked up for some reason and needs a good flushing. Once the flushing is completed he goes right back to eating and defecating like normal until the next blockage occurs. We can not figure out exactly what causes this blockage and just assume it is all connected to his original issue.

View attachment 86407
Aww, poor Hopie.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hmmm, I see it's not you getting the blocked Hopie unblocked. I also see its a dirty job:p:D
Have you thought or asked about adding something to a daily feed that might help him from getting blocked?
What signs tell you he needs some unblocking?

TortoiseDVM

5 Year Member
Florida

View attachment 86407

Hopie is a trooper! Your program is truly the best place he could have hatched at to receive such diligent care.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA

View attachment 86407
That is the LOVE............

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Hmmm, I see it's not you getting the blocked Hopie unblocked. I also see its a dirty job:p:D
Have you thought or asked about adding something to a daily feed that might help him from getting blocked?
What signs tell you he needs some unblocking?

* He simply stops eating. We think it is connected to his injury/condition, possibly lack of muscle response that pushes the waste thru his hind portion of his intestines. He does get lactulose on a daily basis!

* LOL, My job is to hold him on the bucket, it truly looks worse than it is. He seems very content during this process and displays no discomfort what so ever. It has been several months since the last time he was blocked. We are just grateful that it is something we can manage when needed, basically Marathon (Dr. Mader) is a 4.5 hour drive one way, LOL!

I like this idea... this Florida summer seems especially HOT!

* They love it! It keeps them cool and maintains a strong and healthy natural food source (grass & weeds).

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
* He simply stops eating. We think it is connected to his injury/condition, possibly lack of muscle response that pushes the waste thru his hind portion of his intestines. He does get lactulose on a daily basis!

* LOL, My job is to hold him on the bucket, it truly looks worse than it is. He seems very content during this process and displays no discomfort what so ever. It has been several months since the last time he was blocked. We are just grateful that it is something we can manage when needed, basically Marathon (Dr. Mader) is a 4.5 hour drive one way, LOL!
That mean he is under constant watch and care.

My hat off to you and your staffs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
One thing interesting is that Hopie prefers the yellow hibiscus leaves over the green lush ones. We think it has something to do with them turning colors or maybe starting to decay, sorta like becoming an antibiotic of some sort.

IMG_4695.JPG

What is Hopis injury/condition that you think maybe causing the problem?

* I tried to place his other thread on here, however it will not attach!

That mean he is under constant watch and care.

My hat off to you and your staffs.

* Every day i get him out of the bushes (he can craw in, but not out) and place him in front of the water dish. He drinks every day. He then craws to his food pile, varies every day. He also grazes on his own until the sun gets too hot and he craws in to the bushes for shade. He is over thirty pounds now which is good for his size. He and Tuff are our only two that have issues out of all we have produced, actually without disclosing numbers it is remarkably low and we are blessed. He recognizes his food bowl and always gets excited when we bring him his special meals, LOL. He love papaya, is favorite. We normally do not feed much fruit, however he is special! He actually uses both back legs to stand tall for his showers, seems his range of forward and backward motion is compromised and not his up and down abilities.

IMG_3412.JPG

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
* Every day i get him out of the bushes (he can craw in, but not out) and place him in front of the water dish. He drinks every day. He then craws to his food pile, varies every day. He also grazes on his own until the sun gets too hot and he craws in to the bushes for shade. He is over thirty pounds now which is good for his size. He and Tuff are our only two that have issues out of all we have produced, actually without disclosing numbers it is remarkably low and we are blessed. He recognizes his food bowl and always gets excited when we bring him his special meals, LOL. He love papaya, is favorite. We normally do not feed much fruit, however he is special! He actually uses both back legs to stand tall for his showers, seems his range of forward and backward motion is compromised and not his up and down abilities.

View attachment 86426
WOW.

Look at that bowl. He was treated royally. Hahaha......Real china....

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
WOW.

Look at that bowl. He was treated royally. Hahaha......Real china....

* I know, kinda funny, however he recognizes his bowl, LOL. Honestly i started giving him his special food in those bowls because all the little younger guys have figured out that he gets special food and they all come out of the bushes to help him eat his food. That little white bowl is big enough that the little younger ones can not get inside and it allows him to eat it all!

IMG_2830.jpg

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Today Homer appeared to be climbing over the fence. I took several pictures as i went to investigate. He was simply hanging on the fence looking, at what i have no idea, LOL! He seemed very content and happy!

IMG_4696.JPG IMG_4699.JPG IMG_4705.JPG IMG_4742.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hmmm, he wasn't scoping out what looks to be cactus? I like the added supports between the wood fence and the chain link. With this big guy, you may be adding some more:D

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Hmmm, he wasn't scoping out what looks to be cactus? I like the added supports between the wood fence and the chain link. With this big guy, you may be adding some more:D

* That was my first thought, however the cactus is newly planted and little. Those supports are great, keeps them from pushing them inward. I am debating adding a fourth board along the entire perimeter. My main concern is not him climbing up, its him getting back down. I watched him and it seemed challenging for him to get his legs properly adjusted to go back down. Safety is my biggest concern here.

IMG_4747.JPG