Aldabra female has a pool of bright red blood under her

Larry Johnson

I have a 400 pound Female Aldabra, Polly, she has had a pool of bright red blood under her the last two mornings. What can this be?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Larry, and welcome to the Forum!

Doesn't sound good, that's for sure. Has she ever laid eggs? Let's send a shout out to a couple of our vet members:

@deadheadvet @Ferretinmyshoes @. . . darn it, I can't remember Dr. Westin's username

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wow! All I can say is I really hope it will be something that can be cured and that she will be OK, whatever it is! 400 pounds - wow!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Have you noticed if she has peed or pooped the last couple days that you have seen the blood? Is she acting normal otherwise?
If she were mine, I think I would seek out a vet. It could be stones, she could be egg bound, it could be even worse and the two I mentioned is bad enough. Until the vet visit, keep her warm and hydrated.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
If female, egg bound possible, bladder stones, some type of infection, check her diet for an excess of red such as strawberries, tomato, etc

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
She would be big enough to have a skilled ultrasonagrapher scan her and ID any structural issues. Could be done at location of where tortoise is housed. U/S has become very portable.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When one of my 200lb aldabran tortoises started holding up a back leg I called around to different horse vets until I found one with an X-ray machine. It was pretty costly, but they were able to see his leg and socket.

I Think you'd have to have the tortoise walk onto the x-ray plate, and then try to keep her there without moving. It might be a big job, but it's doable.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.:D

Please post pics so as to enable the experts to help you and give you advise.

And wishes for your tort to get well very soon. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have a male in with her?

When I had something like this, it turned out to be the males blood. He had apparently damaged his penis and ruptured a blood vessel on it. He survived and is fine, but he was never fertile afar that, and I separated him from the females as he was much too vigorous a breeder.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What's happening? Need to know! Any pictures?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I'd love to know too. But according to his profile, he hasn't been back on the website since his original post.

Don't you love it!!
Hope he is going all out trying to help her, and may soon get back to us.....hope so! It pains to think of such an amazing and enormous creature being in need of help from us puny human beings, but I guess we (vets and experienced animal keepers) are her best option!