Aldabra Atoll homeland expedition

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Germany
As promised a new post about our 2015 spring expedition to Aldabra Atoll .

A very remote and really very hard to reach place to reach on our planet!!

Maybe the Picture above can help with setting up the substrate for yor enclosure??

If you have any questions or want to see Special pictures, I will try to answer as far as my time allows it.

Jemo

P1070735.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
can anybody tell me how to format the post, first the text and then the Picture??

Jemo

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All I know is to post the picture after your text. I tried to fix it for you, but all your text doesn't show for me for some reason. @jaizei or @Yvonne G might be able to help.

Now for the pic, wow, what a ruff substrate that is. Is that really what was on most places that the Aldabras were? Please share as many pics as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As promised a new post about our 2015 spring expedition to Aldabra Atoll .

A very remote and really very hard to reach place to reach on our planet!!

Maybe the Picture above can help with setting up the substrate for yor enclosure??

If you have any questions or want to see Special pictures, I will try to answer as far as my time allows it.

Jemo

View attachment 125051

That looks like hardened lava. What a terribly rough surface for them to have to walk on.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Aldabra is a coral atoll, not volcanic so it isn't lava.
I have never been, but my geology books tell me it is made from phosphorites, calcarenites and corallian limestones.
Looking at this wonderful photo I would say that this is the latter.
Still, the comment still applies, it must be hard on their poor tootsies.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
Aldabra atoll group
(+Asumption, Cosmoledo, Astove, where all we find populations of intoduced tortoises)
is so inhostil that it is impossible to descibe.

Of course it is corallic origin, but very different to most well known Atolls, it rise and sunk 6-8 times obove the sea Level mean the last ice-Ages.
So nowadays we have an rocky altitude up to 8 meters (that is much!) composed of different layers of different hardness and the coralic limestone in total is harder than at other coralic Atolls.

Due to Erosion nowadays we find extrem sharp edges and pinacles. The tortoises walk on TOP of them as if it was butter.
They have incredeble hard feet!! They do not try to avoid to step on the pinacles.

But for resting they are heading to softer places.

here is an other example of the so called "chamignon" rock without tortoise:

P1080157.JPG

in reality the rock is MORE sharp than it Looks in the Picture. It will cut strong leather Walking boots in one day!

P1070980.JPG

Jemo

ben awes

5 Year Member
Jemo, love this thread - just want more more more, a lot more photos! Whatever you've got of their habitats, behavior, and just them.

Did you do any field measuring or size documentation? Weight estimation?

Are you going to be publishing a paper, a documentary, an article at some point?

Thanks,
Ben

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. Fascinating stuff. Reminds me of the Galapagos tortoises walking on their sharp lava rocks.

I read an article about how important it is to correctly maintain the feet of the giant species of island tortoises in captivity and how they can get out of hand due to overly soft substrate. Some people have to file down their tortoises nails and feet to keep things aligned properly.

Pictures of this sort of rough terrain would explain why there is such a problem in captivity.

Thank you for sharing Jemo.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany