Album of our rescues

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oahu, Hawaii
We bought our first two, Sarah, & almost immediately after that, I spotted Craigslist ads for two more. They weren't cheap, but I wasn't going to let them end up dying in the wrong hands, either! Those are the only rescues we've paid for.

Ken

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Here are a few more photos that I tried to put into an album.

You'll notice that some of our tortoises love the water, while others are escape artists from being bathed . The Sulcata on the cart weighed in at 211 pounds! When we rescued him, we were responding to a phone call that a woman had a tortoise in her back yard that she inherited when her father died, but she didn't know how to feed it. So my wife & I went over with a plastic post office box, which is what we usually use to bring them to our facility, but when I went around the corner & saw him, I turned to her, & said, "We won't need the box on this one, honey!"

Ken

Tonka & Gem-bath time.jpg New tortoises-1.jpg Linda-Ashley-&-Kekoa.jpg IMG_2841.JPG

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
Thanks ken! that is so cool.

I like the sulcata's look on the dolly. He is just ready for that adventure to be over.

Your redfoots are beautiful as well.

Awesome. Thanks again for sharing.

Taco*mom

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful pictures and stories. Can't get enough of them!

HI Tortoise Rescue

5 Year Member
Oahu, Hawaii
Just a little note on Buddy, the Sulcata on the dolly. It was raining two inches an hour when we tried to get him into his new pen, so we couldn't get the dolly anywhere near the pen because of all the mud. For those of you who haven't tried it, getting a 211-pound tortoise to go where you want him to go is NOT an easy task! If you try to lift him, he just pulls in his legs & head, & there's no room for fingers, & there's no way to push him, either. So my granddaughter had the brilliant idea that she would "ride" our new rescue down the slope, using a head of lettuce in her hand to steer him! And it worked perfectly - he even climbed into the pen when she tossed the lettuce inside. I only wish I could have had a photo or video of it, because we were laughing our heads off, but the rain would have ruined my camera.

Ken

TheSulcata

I have not "rescued" any torts but I feel like i have cuz they were starting to pyramid when I got em

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would love to see pics of your tortoises areas and your yard. I love Hawaii and specially Oahu. Have visited several times. Would love to look ya up next time we're there. Just love the scenery, flowers, everything about it.
Love the dolly idea. Would have loved the vid you missed out on too.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Just a little note on Buddy, the Sulcata on the dolly. It was raining two inches an hour when we tried to get him into his new pen, so we couldn't get the dolly anywhere near the pen because of all the mud. For those of you who haven't tried it, getting a 211-pound tortoise to go where you want him to go is NOT an easy task! If you try to lift him, he just pulls in his legs & head, & there's no room for fingers, & there's no way to push him, either. So my granddaughter had the brilliant idea that she would "ride" our new rescue down the slope, using a head of lettuce in her hand to steer him! And it worked perfectly - he even climbed into the pen when she tossed the lettuce inside. I only wish I could have had a photo or video of it, because we were laughing our heads off, but the rain would have ruined my camera.

Ken
Somewhere out there is video of a zoo doing something similar. I remember seeing it years ago when I was researching breeds to decide what I wanted. I saw that video and knew I wanted a smaller tortoise.