Age of Russian Tort

tamarathetort

I have a Russian tortoise that I got from my teacher because she didn't want her anymore. I think she is full grown and I know she is a female. I have heard lots of different things about how to find out the age of a Russian tort. How do I find out?photo.JPG

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
No way to tell without a hatch date. If she bought her from a petco type store then she is wild caught and can be 4 to 10 plus yrs old. How big is she?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
She looks full grown and in good shape. What are your plans for housing/enclosure?

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

tamarathetort

In the day I have her outside in a large area with my rabbits. It has a lots of places for her to hide and lots of room for her to frolic. Then in the night I put her in a large rubbermaid 50 gal tank with hay, soil, and coconut fiber. In response to lismar79, her shell is 6 inches long and 4.5 inches wide.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
At that size she's an adult. The one thing you need to be careful with russians is that they are master escape artist. They can climb anything!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yes, very good diggers and climbers! She lookss great though, in your pic. Yep, definitely a girl, very wide. There is rally no way to tell accurately, unless, yes, you have a hatch date.
I would be slightly worried about her out there with your rabbits. Like dogs, would they be interested in chewing on her? :confused:

tamarathetort

they don't really care about her, sometimes they go up to her and sniff her but otherwise they just go on with their business.