Age difference in tortoises??

CannibalTort

So I've been thinking about getting an older rescue tort for a while. I have a red footed tortoise right now he's about 3-4 inches and almost a year old. I was wondering if it would be difficult to bring another tortoise in, with mine already being so small and young? Also anyone know any good tort rescues in central Florida, like Brevard?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
It's never a good idea to put two torts together. There are tons of threads about this on the forum. Tortoises are solitary creatures. Two together will result in one bullying and the other trying to get out of the way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I doubt you're going to find a RF tortoise in the rescues. And you should never mix species.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I would keep them separate. My big guy will step on the littles without even noticing it. Also don't forgot that you need to keep any new animals quarantined for at least 60 days, (90 is better)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Also don't forgot that you need to keep any new animals quarantined for at least 60 days, (90 is better)

My reptile vets recommend 12 months for tortoises. They have seen some bad stuff that can't be fixed.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
So I've been thinking about getting an older rescue tort for a while. I have a red footed tortoise right now he's about 3-4 inches and almost a year old. I was wondering if it would be difficult to bring another tortoise in, with mine already being so small and young? Also anyone know any good tort rescues in central Florida, like Brevard?
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Sorry cannot help with your question as I live in Jordan.