African Spurred tortoise needs home

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuffandLink

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay (Walnut Creek/Concord)
Hi all,

I wish my first thread here would have been in a better circumstance because I'm in need of help with a turtle. so my girlfriend has had an african spurred for about 4 years now. it's is 5 years old. taking care of the turtle has not been a problem as she had a big back yard at her house until her family recently moved to an apartment. This meant no backyard to roam around. i decided to take care of it for her for a bit but i live in an apartment as well (with a big balcony). i did my best to take him out to the nearby park everyday so he gets some exercise and some grass to graze on. she recently decided to give the turtle away. We live in the East bay (Concord/Walnut Creek) and she's looking at giving the turtle to a reptile store in Berkeley called East Bay Vivarium some time soon where they might find a home for him. I plan to visit the store tomorrow, but looking at the pictures on their website, it looks like the turtle will be stuck in a small cage where i know he's going to be stressed out. And who knows how long it will be until someone takes him? If I had a house with a big backyard I would keep it in a heart beat, but I don't.

Please, if anyone would be interested or know of someone who can provide a good home to this awesome turtle, that would mean a lot to me. If not, any suggestions on a reptile store that would be very good about finding it a nice home would be great. Thanks you so much!!!

African Spurred Tortoise
Name: Sexy
Size: Its shell is about 11-12inches long and 7-8 inches wide
Favorite food: Everything. He loves eating cucumbers
Hobby: Climbing and eating

Sorry the picture isn't too clear. I'll see if my girlfriend has pictures. If he looks smaller than described, it's because this was taken over a year and a half ago.

Attachments

• 04-03-08_1051.jpg
    04-03-08_1051.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 123

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
RE: What to do with the sulcata. Help!?

[email protected]

I can provide a home or find a good home for the animal.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado

If this is indeed a Sulcata, he must not be put in a small cage as that would be unspeakably cruel.

Make sure to put a post on the "For Sale/Adoptions" section of this forum and you may find a home that way. There are also rescue shelters that some of the folks here run.

Bottom line is PLEASE don't give him to someone who cannot meet a Sulcata's considerable needs for LARGE enclosures, plentiful diet and regular exercise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

One of our members here on the forum (Mongo) is the adoption chairperson for the Silicon Valley Chapter of the California Turtle & Tortoise Club. I'm sure he would be able to find a good home for your tortoise...and he wouldn't keep it in a small cage!

Here's his profile page where you can send him a PM:

http://tortoiseforum.org/user-937.html

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

No... I wan it... I wan it.... no... me first... me first.

That's three people trying to adopt this sulcata (check out the photo) in a mater of minutes. Yea... they are really tough to get rid of.

CuffandLink

5 Year Member
East Bay (Walnut Creek/Concord)

Thank you EJ, I just sent you an email.
Stephanie, thank you for your response. I just posted the same thing in the adoption thread. And yes, I want the best home for him.
emysemys, thanks for the reference. I just sent Mongo a PM about it.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida

Ron Huffacre owns East Bay Viv.
He's a class act!
I've known him about 25 years.
BUT, If he does not specifically say he will not sell the animal ... It will be sold.
Although it would most likely be sold to 1 of his friends that keep Sulcata's.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

I believe Ron and Mary no longer own Eastbay.

I'm also wondering where this post comes from? It could be read as kind of slanderous.

t_mclellan said:
He's a class act!
BUT, If he does not specifically say he will not sell the animal ... It will be sold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

-EJ said:
No... I wan it... I wan it.... no... me first... me first.

That's three people trying to adopt this sulcata (check out the photo) in a mater of minutes. Yea... they are really tough to get rid of.

Ed: I gave him Mondo's link because he lives in the same area as our OP. No shipping.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida

-EJ said:

I'm also wondering where this post comes from? It could be read as kind of slanderous.

t_mclellan said:
He's a class act!

Let me clarify EJ.
I've been a bit out of touch with people & the animal industry for a while now.
I last saw to Ron 2 or 3 years ago & the store didn't come up in conversation.

This post comes from Tom McLellan in West Palm Beach Florida.
I thought I had that in my profile (I'll fix it). But I gave just as much info as you did in your profile.
I don't know what EJ stands for but if its, "Ed Jones" we've met before.
As for how it could be interpreted, I see what you mean.
I read my posts over & over & I still miss some subtleties.
But in my own defense, I'm not to good at talking to people sideways or hiding what I mean. I just say it. I don't sugar coat squat!
I like Ron, He is 1 of the pickiest animal people I have met. If he asked for a perfect specimen, He wants a PERFECT example of the species. If he is looking for something else he tells you.
He's a good business man, & with myself & others I know he has always been a "CLASS ACT"! (Something that I appreciate) If he dose not tell you "This animal will not be sold", It is for sale. There is nothing wrong with that.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia

EJ is Edward Julian aka Edward Julian Pirog.

I've been having some trouble reading posts properly lately.

The way I read that line is that Ron is underhanded. I don't see him taking in an adoption and selling the animal even if the condition was implied that it not be sold.

They do not sell every animal they take in.

Like you said... they have great business sense.

t_mclellan said:
-EJ said:

t_mclellan said:
He's a class act!

Let me clarify EJ.
I've been a bit out of touch with people & the animal industry for a while now.
I last saw to Ron 2 or 3 years ago & the store didn't come up in conversation.

This post comes from Tom McLellan in West Palm Beach Florida.
I thought I had that in my profile (I'll fix it). But I gave just as much info as you did in your profile.
I don't know what EJ stands for but if its, "Ed Jones" we've met before.
As for how it could be interpreted, I see what you mean.
I read my posts over & over & I still miss some subtleties.
But in my own defense, I'm not to good at talking to people sideways or hiding what I mean. I just say it. I don't sugar coat squat!
I like Ron, He is 1 of the pickiest animal people I have met. If he asked for a perfect specimen, He wants a PERFECT example of the species. If he is looking for something else he tells you.
He's a good business man, & with myself & others I know he has always been a "CLASS ACT"! (Something that I appreciate) If he dose not tell you "This animal will not be sold", It is for sale. There is nothing wrong with that.

TORTOISEHOME

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
janiedough said:
so what did you end up doing with the tort?

I talked to the guy and he took it to a petshop and they said they would take real good care of it. I wonder who bought it?????:(

Status
Not open for further replies.