Advice please! (tail rubbing)

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My juvenile Redfoot just today started rubbing her foot against her tail as if it was itchy or irritated. I don't see any redness or irritation.

She's eating, acting, and pooping as normal. Is her skin dry? Is she just discovering new a new sensation? I'm worried. She's walking normal otherwise. Just does this occasionally. I have a video i can email someone to show this weird walk/itching.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447621925.736669.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1447621934.520499.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My juvenile Redfoot just today started rubbing her foot against her tail as if it was itchy or irritated. I don't see any redness or irritation.

She's eating, acting, and pooping as normal. Is her skin dry? Is she just discovering new a new sensation? I'm worried. She's walking normal otherwise. Just does this occasionally. I have a video i can email someone to show this weird walk/itching.View attachment 155716View attachment 155717
Can you upload your video to YouTube then paste the URL page onto here?
I don't think it's anything to worry about, but just keep an eye on her.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What curious behaviour. Definitely looks like she's trying to scratch an itch. Maybe she has some material stuck in vent? Have you given her a good soak to see if you can help her?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Ok I'll check.

Would they get itchy bums from worms? Haven't seen anything unusual in the poo. But haven't had any fecals done.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My little redfoot will twitch and swish her tail sometimes when shes got dirt up in her shell. I've found that dipping her in and out of her soak rinses out all sorts of crap. I've never seen her try to use her feet like that though.

If you aren't sure if she is pooping you might want to separate them until you can be sure. Is she still eating well? Maybe try a little aloe or pumpkin to get things moving if she is stopped up.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
My little redfoot will twitch and swish her tail sometimes when shes got dirt up in her shell. I've found that dipping her in and out of her soak rinses out all sorts of crap. I've never seen her try to use her feet like that though.

If you aren't sure if she is pooping you might want to separate them until you can be sure. Is she still eating well? Maybe try a little aloe or pumpkin to get things moving if she is stopped up.
She did sleep in her water dish last night now she's acting normal today. I checked under shell.Hasn't walked funny today so that's good. Funny I gave her pumpkin yesterday!:D