Advice on keeping Box turtle in Southern California

Tobesonthenose

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County CA
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I live in Costa Mesa, CA and was wondering if anyone keeps box turtles in my local and whether or not they hibernate them or not.

I had an Ornate Box turtle in New Mexico in college so I am familiar with their behavior, diet, ect. The turtle was endemic to the area so keeping it was easy and he hibernated on his own. I wasn't very uneducated on their care at the time so he lived in my apartment like a cat. We fed him when we saw him and he would hibernate in a closet or somewhere on his own. We always thought he escaped but he would just wander into the living room in the spring. He was given to a friend with nice yard eventually who could better care for him.

All that aside a new turtle pet will be cared for properly which is why I'm here on the forum. I am leaning towards an ornate because I hear they don't require as much humidity as the others.

Also looking for advice on outdoor enclosure. I have a tiled/brick yard so I was planning on making a 4'x6' (possibly 4x8) raised garden bed enclosure on short legs to allow for water drainage. Planted with shady spots and water bath. It will have enclosed wire top to protect from vermin. I plan to have wheels on the bottom of the legs so I can move it around to different areas of the patio. Put him in more shady spot in hotter weather/move it to area of most sun in colder temps. Does this sound reasonable?

I am also open to a small mediteranian species of tortoise if it would be better suited to my location and enclosure set up.

Thanks for your input