Advice needed (Disinfection)

Jollyrogers

hello

Unfortunately today we lost one of our beautiful cherry heads, he was not himself last week so we got him to the vets and he wasn't get better so we took the decision to have him put to sleep. The vet couldn't give a definitive diagnosis but all signs / symptoms point to a viral infection.

As he was housed with another cherry head, he is showing no symptoms at all so this afternoon I have gutted his viv just to be safe, chucked everything, disinfected using virucidal and bought brand new substrate etc. The only thing I haven't put in the bin was some potted plants but I have left them out for now, I have read somewhere that they need to stay out but does anyone know for how long?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
Can anyone help here? I am not an expert on disinfectant and quarantine etc.
I know that anything with Lysol is toxic to reptiles.

Jollyrogers

Appreciate the responses.

The product I used is specific for reptiles distributed here in the UK by Habistat. I followed the instructions very carefully and ensured the viv was fully rinsed with water and dried before he went back in. I have also changed his substrate.

The question is about the plants, they were in pots with its own soil but I read somewhere that in the case of a suspected bacterial or viral infection then they need to fallow but I don't know for how long?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
What exactly did your tortoise die of? The bacterial life will depend on what kind, I would assume