Adult Sulcata Enclosure Build Arizona

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chesnee, South Carolina
Hello all new here from Arizona check out my intro for more info. Well here is the start of our outdoor sulcata enclosure build. Mostly just the fencing done now. More pictures to come of his summer burrow that I will hopefully have done this weekend or so. Haven't had to buy anything becides some screws. We're lucky that one of our barns blew down a while ago so I have so much leftover tin to use. Also all the wood came from the ranch. 20170612_145153.jpg after the tractor dug the trench20170622_162138.jpg railroad ties have all the rocks under them also is set in a drainage which is also lined with rocky soil.20170622_162254.jpg overlapped tin and screwed in a board to cover seam so Hugo won't get snagged on it also the 2×8 supports the fence which is also screwed into the railroad tie.20170612_145220.jpg hole for summer burrow about 4 ft deep by 5 ft wide about 7 ft long more updates of this to come!

20170622_162209.jpg final fencing almost all back filled with dirt.20170510_154847.jpg just a nice arizona sunset!

xirxes

Looks like an awesome build! Love the durable materials used.

For wet season you might want to dig out a 2x4x2' in low section of that sweet hide and fill with medium round stones to have a place for water to go and not flood.

Either that or close her for the season!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Looking good but some advise....

Shade shade and more shade. That one tree and the burrow won't be enough shade. You need more trees in there and some shade that covers that burro

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Looks like an awesome build! Love the durable materials used.

For wet season you might want to dig out a 2x4x2' in low section of that sweet hide and fill with medium round stones to have a place for water to go and not flood.

Either that or close her for the season!
Oh yes! check out what I did yesterday forgot to take pictures but there is this low spot where you can see the rocks. It's about 2 ft deep with rocks on the left side and is about 4 inches lower than the right side where I filled more dirt in. Pictures doesn't do it justice..lol 20170627_171933.jpg

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Looking good but some advise....

Shade shade and more shade. That one tree and the burrow won't be enough shade. You need more trees in there and some shade that covers that burro

I fully agree with you! I actually have about 6 pakastani mulberry cuttings that I have started that will go around his enclosure and in other places in the yard.. They won't go in the ground till next spring but for the meantime, in front of the mesquite tree, will be a shade sale to get us through the rest of the 95 degree season.I hope it's enough... Those posts on his burrow will also extend another 4 ft for shade and rain cover in front of his burrow. 20170627_171958.jpgthis entire pile of soil will also be covering his burrow. I have alot of shovel work to do... ugh20170627_173348.jpgkeep the suggestions coming as I really need the advice and criticism! Somewhat going in this blind...tried to contact other sulcata owners in the area to see what they got going on but with no luck.. even a local rescue.. grasses won't come in until the monsoon kick in.. any day now!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Love your enclosure. Wish I have 10% of your lot........:rolleyes:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I'd put a shade sail directly over that burrow also. I know how hot it gets there and your sully will need to be able to cool down to regulate temps. These torts need deep shade not just regular shade.

Deep shade means layers of shade similar to layers of clothes. First you put on an under shirt, then your dress shirt then your jacket. Deep shade is the same thing. That burrow will be very nice but don't think it's enough by itself. You want shade from a tree casting down on a large bush or shade sail that casts shade on top of the burrow, that way when it's inside it burrow it's under 3 layers of shade.

If you don't give it enough shade it will just dig that burrow deeper and deeper to get to a temp it wants. You will find yourself with a burrow 10' deep that you can't get it out of if you ever needed too.

Also I'm sure you already have, but keep in mind which way the water flows and have the opening of the burrow on the low side of that hill so the rain passes it by, not fills it up.

It looking good so far. I'm not sure about those rocks on the bottom of the burrow though. I know you have them there to discourage digging but I doubt it resting on rocks all day is good for its shell. If you built it right and offer enough shade it won't want to dig it deeper.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I'd put a shade sail directly over that burrow also. I know how hot it gets there and your sully will need to be able to cool down to regulate temps. These torts need deep shade not just regular shade.

Deep shade means layers of shade similar to layers of clothes. First you put on an under shirt, then your dress shirt then your jacket. Deep shade is the same thing. That burrow will be very nice but don't think it's enough by itself. You want shade from a tree casting down on a large bush or shade sail that casts shade on top of the burrow, that way when it's inside it burrow it's under 3 layers of shade.

If you don't give it enough shade it will just dig that burrow deeper and deeper to get to a temp it wants. You will find yourself with a burrow 10' deep that you can't get it out of if you ever needed too.

Also I'm sure you already have, but keep in mind which way the water flows and have the opening of the burrow on the low side of that hill so the rain passes it by, not fills it up.

It looking good so far. I'm not sure about those rocks on the bottom of the burrow though. I know you have them there to discourage digging but I doubt it resting on rocks all day is good for its shell. If you built it right and offer enough shade it won't want to dig it deeper.
Great suggestions! Yeah I guess I'll put it over/ infront of his burrow, makes sense! Also underneath his burrow, I didn't get a picture of it before I started back filling with soil, at the bottom is an old river bed with huge rocks which is why we didn't dig any deeper.. i don't think he can dig any deeper.. those rocks on the left are for drainage and hopefully he won't rest himself on those rocks.. on the right side is smooth sifted soil with boulders underneath. If he wanted to, he could dig about 10 inches down in the sifted soil until he hits those big rocks.. I am worried about more shade though and I am thinking about putting an overhang on the shed under that mesquite tree for even more shade.. His winter home will be in the shed and I think will be nice to have a cover for the entrance of his winter home. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming!

xirxes

what was mentioned about multiple layers of shade is so true. if you can get a solid shade OVER the area that then is solid cover at ground level, the heatwont hit that dirt/metal top and the heat cannot radiate in.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Here is another update!
His watering pond before cement 20170701_175024.jpgafterI poured cement
20170703_192207.jpg Bermuda grass sod already seeing new grass starting20170701_175048.jpgentwrance cover complete. Shade sail is also hung over it. No picture yet..20170703_192053.jpg 20170703_192130.jpgMore to come. I put in a patch of seed about 4ft × 8 ft next to the grass patch I'll take more pictures tonight! Thanks all!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Couple more suggestions.. take some of the same elastomeric roof coating on your house and put it on those metal panels over his burrow. That tin will get crazy hot and elastomeric will help bounce some of the heat rays away. Also don't forget to plant some bushes on 3 sides of that burrow to cast shade onto it. Maybe some fountain grass... I know that would grow nicely in SV.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Couple more suggestions.. take some of the same elastomeric roof coating on your house and put it on those metal panels over his burrow. That tin will get crazy hot and elastomeric will help bounce some of the heat rays away. Also don't forget to plant some bushes on 3 sides of that burrow to cast shade onto it. Maybe some fountain grass... I know that would grow nicely in SV.
Thanks everyone! Yeah that roof coating is a Good idea! Thanks! I ended up buying a mulberry tree to put in front west side of his burrow just outside the fence..on the south side I have a rose of sharon bush to plant between the fence and his burrow I got it for $1 on sale at lowes!. I have had suggestions about planting fountian grass but I'm skeptical since it is highly invasive.. I mean so is the Bermuda grass...But I guess it won't spread if I cut all the seed stalks off when they come.. maybe I'll grab some today.. we receive him on Saturday so I gotta make some decisions and plant more stuff.. I still have to rake n pick all the rocks out of his enclosure.. ugh still so much work!!

Oh and will he eat the fountian grass? Should I get the green one or is the purple and other types ok..

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks everyone! Yeah that roof coating is a Good idea! Thanks! I ended up buying a mulberry tree to put in front west side of his burrow just outside the fence..on the south side I have a rose of sharon bush to plant between the fence and his burrow I got it for $1 on sale at lowes!. I have had suggestions about planting fountian grass but I'm skeptical since it is highly invasive.. I mean so is the Bermuda grass...But I guess it won't spread if I cut all the seed stalks off when they come.. maybe I'll grab some today.. we receive him on Saturday so I gotta make some decisions and plant more stuff.. I still have to rake n pick all the rocks out of his enclosure.. ugh still so much work!!

Oh and will he eat the fountian grass? Should I get the green one or is the purple and other types ok..
I have fountain grass in my yard and my sulcata never once tried to eat it. Now here in Houston my yard is filled fence to fence with yummy St Augustine grass so he had no reason to want the fountain grass. As long as you have plenty of stuff for it to eat you should be fine.

I used purple fountain grass when i was SV and never once had it spread. Now the clumps spread wider as they grow but never had new clumps just popping up in random places.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
I have fountain grass in my yard and my sulcata never once tried to eat it. Now here in Houston my yard is filled fence to fence with yummy St Augustine grass so he had no reason to want the fountain grass. As long as you have plenty of stuff for it to eat you should be fine.

I used purple fountain grass when i was SV and never once had it spread. Now the clumps spread wider as they grow but never had new clumps just popping up in random places.
Oh I was mistaken I was thinking of pampas grass which is invasive..

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
20170709_113142_001.jpg 20170708_100912.jpg Well everyone Hugo is here!! He was delivered yesterday kinda stressed out from the 5 min car ride. Spent most of the day yesterday in his burrow. And all morning today in there... it's about 90 outside now but the burrow is at about 75 or so.. is it going to take him a while to get used to everything? kinda worried about him since he hasn't really eaten anything or showed much interest just wants to be down there in the cool.