adult / hydration and pyramiding

JohnR

Hello,

To my understanding, high humidity in juvenile enclosures are vital to the health of the tortoises as well as to grow smooth shells.

Id like to know whether this would be relevent to adult tortoises.

More specifically, my burmese star is now 2kg. She has a bowl of water that is constantly filled (not enough for a soak), soaked daily. However, the enclosure that she is kept in, have a very low humidity - say 20-50% humiditiy.
Would that cause pyramiding in her shell?

Opinions are much appreciated!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
If she is mostly done growing, pyramiding is not the issue. Dehydration though can increase the risk of stones. Can you provide at least a humid hide area?

JohnR

If she is mostly done growing, pyramiding is not the issue. Dehydration though can increase the risk of stones. Can you provide at least a humid hide area?
It is only a temporary enclosure. Thiefs have been spotted in my area so I basically have to move her back indoor. Will make one asap.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. 20% humidity is too low, so if your tortoise is still growing, then pyramiding will be an issue.

The humidity thing is meant to simulate the monsoon season where this species thrives in the wild. They can survive dry periods, but the rainy season is when they do best.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello,

To my understanding, high humidity in juvenile enclosures are vital to the health of the tortoises as well as to grow smooth shells.

Id like to know whether this would be relevent to adult tortoises.

More specifically, my burmese star is now 2kg. She has a bowl of water that is constantly filled (not enough for a soak), soaked daily. However, the enclosure that she is kept in, have a very low humidity - say 20-50% humiditiy.
Would that cause pyramiding in her shell?

Opinions are much appreciated!

Please post pics of your tort.:)

Keep giving her daily soaks in water. I think that a higher level of humidity is required.;)

Please keep us updated. :tort: